Plywood Hog Roaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
Anybody seen er used one a these? Seen one on bobby floppy throwdown an they sell em, also feller sellin plans ta build one, just wondered how well they really work? How ya keep that thin from burnin ta the ground?

Might be a cheaper way ta get inta hog roastin eh.

It's a Cajun Microwave....

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ZMXEyzf4VNc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ZMXEyzf4VNc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Plywood Hog Cooker

Six hogs at a time in this double plywood cooker.

img_191596_0_8faf3eef7037dda664bbe0cb4cf2b67d.jpg

Dave

Some Porterage dudes were doing whole hog next door from a gig I had in Buffalo about 10 years ago. Shared some beers and talked Q for the cook. We traded samples and I must say they did a killer job. As I say "it's the cook, not the cooker" Wooden box with fire (coals) on top with a steel pan. They dumped the fire on top and said "time to rest it will be fine in about 45 to a hour to rest. One guy was concerned that they would run out of beer. :LOL:

Pigs
Would I buy one? I think not. Those guys had it down and knew how to get it done!

Captain Morgan said:
if you're talking about la caha china or whatever it's called,
it's got a metal interior.

The cooker cappy mentioned pretty much just steams the pig. I went to a wedding a few years back and they cooked a pig in one of those.

Now, they sell attachments for the La Caja China that burns wood discs so you get the smoke taste also. Used one once. Not a bad rig, but not great either. If you're only doing a pig roast once in a while it would be worth it.

Have a friend with one and he loves it. Was telling me that they also have a smoke box to put inside so the hog gets some smoke too. This guy uses it for commercial pig roasts when he has to do a small pig, 60 lbs or so....
dj
Hey JB,
That Cajun Micro wave is sweet!!! I'd like to have one myself!

Captain Morgan said:
if you're talking about la caha china or whatever it's called,
it's got a metal interior.

I have the small version, I like to use it in the winter, coals on top keep you warm, while the beer in the snow banks stays cold. It works really well once you learn how much coal to use for the meat you are cooking.
Works almost the same as a dutch oven.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom