Planning on Butt Steak, St. Louis style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarrysBackyard

Assistant Cook
I'll basically be using the Cooks Illustrated recipe.

It calls for a sear, braise in sauce for 90 minutes, and then back on the hot part to crust up the sauce a little.

I've never done 'em before, so if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear.

I really wish those people packaging and labling pieces of meat would communicate better, and use terms that most people could understand...

I have never heard of a "Butt Steak" and "St. Louis style" has always meant trimming spare ribs down, making the ribs all the same length, and making the rack of ribs into a rectangle. At least around here.

I have no idea what you are referring to. Sorry, I can't help at all.

BOB

Would we be speaking cow or pig butt here? Never heard of any skunky recipes coming from Cooks Illustrated. Bet it will work.

Well, time ran out, and I just didn't have time for a 2hr+ cook time. So I marinated the Pork shoulder steaks ('Butt Steak') in equal parts soy sauce, red wine vinegar and red wine (and a touch of oil). I then grilled a poblano pepper, a fresh pineapple, red bell pepper, bacon and a yellow onion - topped with a little cilantro. I chopped the grilled items into a hash to accompany the grilles pork steaks. It was pretty good. I am pretty pleased with the cut of meat.

As I had been searching for help with the St. Louis barbeque recipe, I heard this cut was fairly random or rare from the butcher - partially depending on their mood. But around here in New Mexico, its the cut most favored for posole - a regional and cultural favorite, so it's easy to find - and cheap!

Bob In Fla. said:
I really wish those people packaging and labling pieces of meat would communicate better, and use terms that most people could understand...

I have never heard of a "Butt Steak" and "St. Louis style" has always meant trimming spare ribs down, making the ribs all the same length, and making the rack of ribs into a rectangle. At least around here.

I have no idea what you are referring to. Sorry, I can't help at all.

BOB

Its the shoulder, sliced vertically into 'blade steaks' (yes, yet another name).

St. Louis Style - give a search for it and you'll find a whole subculture around the grilling and basting of these shoulder steaks in a tomato/vinegar sauce based with Budweiser, of course.

Wow..the folks from St. Louey purty hard up to discover an icon like that. Can buy all day long around here where it mostly poses as country style ribs. Now is possible to sometimes find real country style ribs which come off the tail end of the loin. It get confusing. Good eating though in its various configurations.

bigwheel said:
Wow..the folks from St. Louey purty hard up to discover an icon like that. Can buy all day long around here where it mostly poses as country style ribs. Now is possible to sometimes find real country style ribs which come off the tail end of the loin. It get confusing. Good eating though in its various configurations.

No, it was other parts of the country (wish I had paid attention to where) I was reading they have troubles finding them prepackages. There were actually quite a few surprisingly. But in St. Louis, the're entry level. You can't sell meat without selling pork butt steaks.

Well it seem to take long for new marketing strategies to take root. We prob have em down here before a person know it.

LarrysBackyard said:
bigwheel said:

No, it was other parts of the country (wish I had paid attention to where) I was reading they have troubles finding them prepackages. There were actually quite a few surprisingly. But in St. Louis, the're entry level. You can't sell meat without selling pork butt steaks.

I live in southern Ohio and it's hard to find em.

Might work for them who own a nice band saw. Half of da butt got the big 3-d flying saucer looking bone in it. Now a person could just snag the deboned models. That should work. More per pound but could handle the steaking chore with a knife. Prob make some funky sized and shaped steaks. Wonder do them yankee butt steaks come bone in or bone out?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom