Planning for time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I am smoking four butts for the college kids at our Church on Wed. Eat time is 6:00 pm Wed night.

There are two ways to approach this that I am considering.

1. Start time 2:00 am Wed. Smoke low and slow till around 2:00 pm Wed and leave time for a few hours of rest time. Give or take an hour.

2. Start time closer to 6:00am Wed. Smoke at temps closer to 300 for closer to 8 hours and achive the same rest time results. ( I am concerned about the sugar content of the rub burning ).

Any thoughts ?

edit sp

I vote for #1. Personally I'd want to know that everything is cooked and ready to go and not have to worry about cooking at high temps and "hoping" it gets done in time.

If your butts are finished by 2 or 3 or even 4...they can be wrapped and still be plenty hot by the time you need them.

Got a "food saver?" I do the simmer in the bag thing if I only have a few butts to do. Saves lots of time and your butts are spot on. No worry about cooking time as there done a day or two ahead. Put the bag in simmering water to reheat, pull and serve. Works for BTGG Gary in VA And me. :D

Pigs

I do the foodsaver deal when there is a few days to work with it but this is all happening in one 24 hour period.

Leaning towards cooking overnight at this point. I am just trying to keep the rest time under 6 hours.

Cliff H. said:
I do the foodsaver deal when there is a few days to work with it but this is all happening in one 24 hour period.

Leaning towards cooking overnight at this point. I am just trying to keep the rest time under 6 hours.
Get on your horse. ;) :LOL: Good luck, You know your stuff. Think you will be fine. This is why I keep 5 to 6 Butts in the deep freezer ready to reheat.

Pigs

Butts are way forgiving if your temp gets off a little, but I agree, I'd go with the trusted low and slow.

--John
(Heck, it'll be a treat for the kids however you do it.)

Back
Top Bottom