Planning a Big Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Well,
I am down here in the Lone Star State for a week long vacation with the family. I have got a few plans including fishing,relaxing and COOKING. We are going to get together with ALL the family on Saturday and the theme is ofcourse, BBQ.

My brother Brex is pretty set on doing some high heat briskets and that is ok by me. They really turn out pretty good. We are planning to have the pit loaded down with briskets and butts for the high heat part.

No matter were the meat temp is at noon, I think the plan will then be to drop the heat back to low and slow for some ribs.

This is going to be more meat than I have ever tried to smoke at one time so I am all ears for suggestions.

We are going to use oak for the coals and then start adding hickory for the flavor. We are going to be smoking on the family pit which is an offset made from a propane tank. Its got a few holes in it so high heat will work pretty well I guess.

We are going to get all the prep work done tomorrow night a start early Saturday morning. I remembered to bring my camera. :D

Well sounds like yall have the project under control. Will only add a maxed out big pit cooks a bunch different than one which only got a coupla items in there. That meat acts as its own baffle and tuning plate and such things. Just remember to dont pay no attention to the temp gauges..them briskets close to the firebox is still taking a serious booty kicking as compared to them on the far end even if the temp gauge say it just right all over. The pit should also maintain a much higher humidity level which is normally considered a plust factor. Maybe able to cut back on the tinfoil useage and such thangs. Just trying to cover all the bases here.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well sounds like yall have the project under control. Will only add a maxed out big pit cooks a bunch different than one which only got a coupla items in there. That meat acts as its own baffle and tuning plate and such things. Just remember to dont pay no attention to the temp gauges..them briskets close to the firebox is still taking a serious booty kicking as compared to them on the far end even if the temp gauge say it just right all over. The pit should also maintain a much higher humidity level which is normally considered a plust factor. Maybe able to cut back on the tinfoil useage and such thangs. Just trying to cover all the bases here.

bigwheel
:shock: I guess when in Texus.... :D :D
Sounds like a good time..and don't forget the camera..

I have been considering just filling them briskets to the gills with beef broth and wooster and skipping the foil until they are ready to rest. Seems like Myron has taken a few trophies with that method. ;)

BW brings up a good point with that much meat on the pit...might want to thing about moving them around some during the cooking process..

Here is the lineup:
Four briskets
Four racks of spare ribs
Two chickens
Sausage

When it comes time to foil the briskets, is there any reason why I could not put two in a pan together and wrap the pan ?

I am thinking that I can get all four racks of ribs together in one pan rather than wrapping each rack, no?

What about resting everything that way ?

Cliff that sounds like a hell of a feast.
Can't wait for the pics of you and your bro elbow deep in Q :D

Seen quite a few folks who pan stuff up instead of foiling. Even tried it myself a few times. The physics is a bit different than using foil. Guess it mainly dependent on whut a person is used to doing. Should work ok either way.

bigwheel

Cliff H. said:
Here is the lineup:
Four briskets
Four racks of spare ribs
Two chickens
Sausage

When it comes time to foil the briskets, is there any reason why I could not put two in a pan together and wrap the pan ?

I am thinking that I can get all four racks of ribs together in one pan rather than wrapping each rack, no?

What about resting everything that way ?

Back
Top Bottom