Pit Temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
Some time back I posted that my pit temp gauge (TelTru) seemed to read very low. I have some ribs on today and decided to screw around with it. I checked the TelTru (again) in boiling water which read 205*....good enough.
When I gator clipped a Guru probe to the end of the TelTru (TT) there is a 50* difference with the Guru reading higher.
The TT probe is 3"long. Instead of clipping the gator on the end, I moved it up the probe to where it was close to the pit wall. The difference now was 20* ...Guru still high.
My thinking is that maybe the welded nipple that the TT screws into is sucking some heat off the TT, causing a low reading.
If larger offsets, that use this type setup, are run just using TT's (manufacture installed) for their cook temps, then they are cooking at temps 50* higher than wanted.
This could explain some complains of dried out meats.
Anybody else ever check on this?????

You're somewhere between 206 and 1,000' above sea level in Berks County PA. so you should be looking at between 212 and 209 F for the boiling point of water.

Have you mapped the temperatures across the whole pit?

By mapping the whole pit area, you gain the knowledge of what areas are hotter or colder, and allows you to know what's going on where.

There stould be some adjustment via the nut on the stem of the thermometer, but I'd start either using your Guru to keep an eye on it or look for a longer stemmed therm, or replace the nipple.

Did you check the temp probe for the Guru or just the TT?? There's always the possibility of the Guru probe being off.

You are right on the 'above sea level' thingy, and I'm okay with 205* on the TT. I have check the Guru which is right on.
I have spread 4 probes around the pit and have not found excessive variation....maybe 15* to 20* which I expected and reasonable.
A longer TT probe would make a difference in the right direction, BUT..... something sucking the temp down on the TT which the Guru confirms.
Note; I never checked the Lang.
I was thinking of wrapping the TT threads with Teflon tape to see if it has an affect.
Anyone using the TT in their pit as the temp guide may want to check grate temps. When I cook to the Guru my TT is around 175* :shock:

Finney said:
Do you keep the gunk cleaned off of the TT? That will have an effect.
Also you probably need a longer stem length.

True, but I have the 2 probes clipped together and they read 50* different. I still need to try taping up the TT threads for insulation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom