Pigs pork butt direct on the ECB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
12.8 ponder done last February in a little over 12 hours. Sure doesn't take 23 hours, Well only if you want it to.

I'm glad I enlarged that picture before I started to New York... I thought some alien had replaced you Pigs. :eek: Until I saw that there wasn't a water pan in that ECB. #-o Crisis averted. 8-[

Water pan? We don't need no stinking water pan! :grin:

Yeah that would be untraditional! :taunt:

Pig's I gotta question for ya. What do you do about the ash buildup on the meat from the drippings dropping on the charcoal? When I do roadside chicken on the WSM with no water pan I get a crap load of ash. And what temp do you cook your butts to get them done at an hour per pound? I know you don't use therms, but approximately what temp?

Smokehouse said:
Yeah, Pigs, Enquiring minds want to know. I've had such good luck with cooking chicken on the WSM without a pan, I'd like to do more cooking that way. Now I haven't noticed ash on the chicken.

Smokintraditionaly

Well the RSC involves alot of basting, that is a huge contributor to the ash.

Bryan S said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3cnudabn]

Kingsford, That's your problem DA. I do mine on the grill and don't have no stinking ash problem. [-X[/quote:3cnudabn]

That's mighty fine English Grammar you're using there. From the educated response you've posted, you aren't smart enough to know what ash is in the first place. Go back to bed.

Bryan S said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":yh8h5i8h][quote="Bryan S":yh8h5i8h][quote="Larry Wolfe":yh8h5i8h]

Kingsford, That's your problem DA. I do mine on the grill and don't have no stinking ash problem. [-X[/quote:yh8h5i8h]

That's mighty fine English Grammar you're using there. From the educated response you've posted, you aren't smart enough to know what ash is in the first place. Go back to bed.[/quote:yh8h5i8h]
HUH?[/quote:yh8h5i8h]

See what I mean?? 100% Dummy is what you are, Dummy I say, plain Dummy!!

From my experience, Ash will rise just as hot air does when any fat hits the coals. Note I said hot air. Not heat. Heat does not rise unless there is air flow to the top. But now you say "There must be air flow to keep the fire going" Yes, You do. Believe it or not, a piece of cotton clothes line soaked in water will do the trick around the lid to help seal air in.That's using a ECB. Now you boy's using a WSM have a top vent and 3 bottom vents, Air in the bottom has to go up. Too much air in the bottom means ash will rise with the hot air trying to get out the top vent, Right? You peak and pull the top off air rushes in from the bottom to the top, It can't help but pull ash from the fire up to your food.

But that only happens on everyone else's pit's. But not on Bryans. He has a special pit that does not produce ash.

From my experience, Ash will rise just as hot air does when any fat hits the coals. Note I said hot air. Not heat. Heat does not rise unless there is air flow to the top. But now you say "There must be air flow to keep the fire going" Yes, You do. Believe it or not, a piece of cotton clothes line soaked in water will do the trick around the lid to help seal air in.That's using a ECB. Now you boy's using a WSM have a top vent and 3 bottom vents, Air in the bottom has to go up. Too much air in the bottom means ash will rise with the hot air trying to get out the top vent, Right? You peak and pull the top off air rushes in from the bottom to the top, It can't help but pull ash from the fire up to your food.
I ain't buyin' that one..Nope, not me! I knows better... [-( [-X

c-mon guys! whats happen we have someone (no name plaese) calling people dummy an hoe lot of razzing going on an I'm not in at all yet. larry I can say this I done the RSC with no ash at all so you know it my be the fact that your cooking this on the wrong grill are somker.

just my 2 cents Missing Link.

The Missing Link said:
c-mon guys! whats happen we have someone (no name plaese) calling people dummy an hoe lot of razzing going on an I'm not in at all yet. larry I can say this I done the RSC with no ash at all so you know it my be the fact that your cooking this on the wrong grill are somker.

just my 2 cents Missing Link.

Link you're right. I think I'll try the George Foreman next time. :winkie:

Hey guys, I speak Link. I took it in college for a couple of years.

He said..

Come on guys! What's happening? Some people are calling others
dummy, and there's a whole lot of joshing going on, and I'm being left out! Larry I did the roadside chicken and had no problem with ash.
Maybe it's because of the grill you used.

Captain Morgan said:
Hey guys, I speak Link. I took it in college for a couple of years.

He said..

Come on guys! What's happening? Some people are calling others
dummy, and there's a whole lot of joshing going on, and I'm being left out! Larry I did the roadside chicken and had no problem with ash.
Maybe it's because of the grill you used.
:lmao: :lcry: :lmao: That's pretty good, Cappy! :lmao: :lcry: :lmao:

Smokehouse said:
Uhhhh, pigs....

What are you saying? Do you cook with closed air vents?

Let's say I want to cook a small butt on my WSM Pigs-style. How would I do that?

Smokenandashin

I don't know. I'm still stunned to learn that Pigs is cooking on an ECB instead of a trench! :grin:

What happened to traditional BBQ? :)

Pigs
What is the distance from the coals to cooking grate?
Hot air will rise cause that is what it does. Cooking direct with 18" to 21" from coals to grate I have never found ash to be a big problem and most of the fat vaporizes before hitting coals. Do you find the same?
Jim
PS I prefer using lump coals when cooking direct.

Back
Top Bottom