Pigs pork butt direct on the ECB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahhh Yes Jim That fat that sizzles and makes the perfume of barbecue is what it's all about. I never get ashes on my product. I go as low as 16 inches to 21 inches from the coals depending what is in the pit. I can see we are on the same page here! =D>

Top vent closed, Bottom vents 1/4 open. Pre heat your wood ( man this is going to get completed) Basic thing is dump a full chimney of lump, Add a couple pieces of pre heated wood and let it go. YMMV (Your mileage may vary) Pre heating the wood will eliminate creosote.

Hi,
I've got two cents to spend here. I have a wsm and if I close the top vent. the fire tends to go out due to lack of convection. How's this configuration going to work ???

Kloset BBQR said:
Smokehouse, I've got a question for you. You've got a WSM. Why would you want to tinker with perfection?

Because we are men, and that's what men do!

Ok, now I understand. Have you tried the rottiserie option on the Weber grill? Now that makes great chicken! With the ring insert that comes with it, you can even smoke in it.

I just smoke using with the ring on using indirect cooking (coals on the side), drip pan in the middle, with a little water, beer, or apple juice, or any combination thereof in the drip pan. The ring gives the kettle some nice additional height for the smoke to circulate.. I've got two WSM's but I was experimenting with the kettle this winter. Put some soaked wood chips over the coals and you got a smoker. Nice thing is when the chicken is done, you can take the lid off and crisp it directly over the coals.

Uncle Al said:
Hi,
I've got two cents to spend here. I have a wsm and if I close the top vent. the fire tends to go out due to lack of convection. How's this configuration going to work ???

Al's right and you'll also get soot in your cooker and on your food and it will be inedible. Pig's is cooking on a ECB which does not have a top vent and is configured differently than a WSM. IMHO I would not recommend using the WSM for Pig's method, unless you leave the top vent 100% open.

Larry
Your right, direct cooking is about fire size and taking the day to keep an eye on your food. I also would not use raw wood, this style of cooking the flavor print is the vaporized fat that flavors the pork.

You want the grate high enough that as butt renders the fat is vaporized before it hits the coals. It's a great style of cooking but much different than most are doing here.

Jim

well I hate to admit it in a place where Pigs hangs around, but that's my goal. As soon as I can afford it, I'm getting a pit that will let me cook whole hogs direct. That's the flavor I grew up on, and it's my goal.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
From my experience, Ash will rise just as hot air does when any fat hits the coals. Note I said hot air. Not heat. Heat does not rise unless there is air flow to the top. But now you say "There must be air flow to keep the fire going" Yes, You do. Believe it or not, a piece of cotton clothes line soaked in water will do the trick around the lid to help seal air in.That's using a ECB. Now you boy's using a WSM have a top vent and 3 bottom vents, Air in the bottom has to go up. Too much air in the bottom means ash will rise with the hot air trying to get out the top vent, Right? You peak and pull the top off air rushes in from the bottom to the top, It can't help but pull ash from the fire up to your food.

Heat is energy... It is always moving. Ususally UP.

I would say the primary reason you don't have a large ash problem is that you don't use Kingsford. Even if you get ash from lump (of wood cooked to coals) it is much finer ash and doesn't contain all that filler crap in Kingsford.

Smokehouse said:
Larry Wolfe said:
...Al's right and you'll also get soot in your cooker and on your food and it will be inedible. Pig's is cooking on a ECB which does not have a top vent and is configured differently than a WSM. IMHO I would not recommend using the WSM for Pig's method, unless you leave the top vent 100% open.

uhhhh...I feel invisible. :badgrin: On this here thread, 3 or 4 posts up, I wrote about doing that last night on a WSM. Vents had to be opened as I said and by the way, no ash problem. SH

Sorry dude, I obviously didn't see your post. If you want the credit, it's yours.

Smokehouse said:
Guys, I have cooked roadside over Kingsford and two other direct chicken cooks over Kingsford without an ash problem. The charcoal is 2 feet below the grate -- I just haven't seen this problem. I used some lump this weekend trying to follow Bill's advice.

Well I've done RSC about four times now and I've had alot of ash every single time. I guess you're using the ashless Kingsford, cause the Kingsford I'm using produces ash. Gotta question for you SH, when you baste the RSC are you placing the lid back onto the cooker? I baste and put the lid back on, when I'm ready to baste again and take the lid off the chicken has alot of ash. No big deal, basting gets rid of it. So if you aren't replacing the lid everytime you baste then that would explain why you don't get ash. Or are you saying you do the chicken the same way as I've stated above and you're not getting ash? If so I find that hard to believe if we're doing it the same way, using Kingsford and I get ash and you don't?

Captain Morgan said:
well I hate to admit it in a place where Pigs hangs around, but that's my goal. As soon as I can afford it, I'm getting a pit that will let me cook whole hogs direct. That's the flavor I grew up on, and it's my goal.
I have a old whole hog cooker, Needs some TLC and a paint job. Takes a 1 7/8 ball to tow. $300.00 bucks takes it away. I can post pics if any one is interested.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":1c67xyh3]Is it 300 bucks delivered?
Come and get it. What ya want for $300.00 ? Its solid and in very good shape. Just looks ugly from needing a paint job.[/quote:1c67xyh3]

Cappy's in the same shape!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":3aomwruw][quote="Captain Morgan":3aomwruw]Is it 300 bucks delivered?
Come and get it. What ya want for $300.00 ? Its solid and in very good shape. Just looks ugly from needing a paint job.[/quote:3aomwruw]

Cappy's in the same shape![/quote:3aomwruw]

He only goes out at night.
And in makeup. :)

Smokehouse said:
Larry Wolfe said:
.... Sorry dude, I obviously didn't see your post. If you want the credit, it's yours.....

...Well I've done RSC about four times now and I've had alot of ash every single time. I guess you're using the ashless Kingsford, cause the Kingsford I'm using produces ash. Gotta question for you SH, when you baste the RSC are you placing the lid back onto the cooker? I baste and put the lid back on, when I'm ready to baste again and take the lid off the chicken has alot of ash. No big deal, basting gets rid of it. So if you aren't replacing the lid everytime you baste then that would explain why you don't get ash. Or are you saying you do the chicken the same way as I've stated above and you're not getting ash? If so I find that hard to believe if we're doing it the same way, using Kingsford and I get ash and you don't?

Larry - about wanting the credit. Well ..... Yeah!... :grin: I mean, here I wus doing this great scientifical excrement, uh, experiment, and ....oh well, who cares. I was too sensitive.

About the ash. (Ash and ye shall receive I always say). I agree that we're not doing it the same way. Listen, the ash problem has to be in the basting. A dose of liquid in the pan will generate flying ash. I baste the chicken, just not with a lot of liquid. I don't put much liquid on my mop. I do put the lid back on when finished. I'm probably not basting as much as you are and perhaps with a lot less liquid. The final product, however, is terriffic.

Smokehouse

There's the difference!! I mop alot and often. The steam from the marinade really makes the neighborhood smell good!!

Back
Top Bottom