PIG ROAST PICS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:idea: Hey SJ. How about coming over to MD next spring and doing the whole hog of us at Salisbury MD. That looks like a true championship pig to me. ;)

Captain Morgan said:
thanks for the pics....is that your pit?

Yes that's my pit....I made it last year in kind of an emergency situation. Person lined up to cook a whole pig for a family reunion backed out 6 days before the event, but was kind enough to still offer the reserved hog at the butcher shop. So I went and bought an oil tank and banged the pit out in 5 days from what I had kicking around. Added the work surface this past week. Plan on a few more mods as time allows........some other pics here:
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t=5643

I have another whole pig to do in October for a friends weding. I'll post pics of that too when it comes around.

Thank you all for the kind words.

Nick Prochilo said:
GREAT pics SJ! Thanks for sharing! How long did it take to cook that pig? How big was the pig?

Pig was only 125.... cooked for close to 14 hours at a constant 215-225 turned a 1/4 turn every 15 minutes.Took it off at about 163-164 degrees internal in the hams. Did the entire cook on one wheelbarrow full of seasoned Red Oak with a few small wet sticks of Shag Bark Hickory thrown in from time to time for added flavor.

It was absolutely falling off the bone and super tender :D

I didn't measure around the pig....but I know it shrunk a total of 8 inches in length on the rod during the cook.

john pen said:
So how many did you actualy end up feeding off the pig..Was there much leftover ?

There was approx. 45 adults and 11 kids.
5-6 of the adults were just nibblers & at least 10 of the adults were good ole fashion chow downers!
Most of the kids just had a small portion and that was it. Our 2 kids and one of thier friends ate like full grown men...LOL. Had about 4 & 1/2 gallon size freezer bags full of pulled meat when it was over.

The pig itself was $1.90 per lb....$237

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom