picnics and lump - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
BBQ Central Pro

picnics and lump

did a couple of picnics overnight, they were both on sale and I figured what the heck...I'll give it a try. Well they both looked great. (sorry no pics my wife has the camera) but tasted more like ham than good pulled pork. I put quite a bit of rub on them about 2 hours prior to the cook and re-applied right before putting on, but none of the flavor seemed to be absorbed. My neighbor wanted to know if I would smoke him one so I just gave him one of them. I think I will stick with butts for pulling from now on. also, anyone near the philly area (30 miles north) know where to get lump. Lowes and H D carry charbroil and cowboy but the consistency from bag to bag is terrible. the only other thing I have found up here since the move is the BGE lump, but they want 20 bucks for 20 pounds. thanks

Curtis
cflatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: picnics and lump

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflatt
did a couple of picnics overnight, they were both on sale and I figured what the heck...I'll give it a try. Well they both looked great. (sorry no pics my wife has the camera) but tasted more like ham than good pulled pork. I put quite a bit of rub on them about 2 hours prior to the cook and re-applied right before putting on, but none of the flavor seemed to be absorbed. My neighbor wanted to know if I would smoke him one so I just gave him one of them. I think I will stick with butts for pulling from now on. also, anyone near the philly area (30 miles north) know where to get lump. Lowes and H D carry charbroil and cowboy but the consistency from bag to bag is terrible. the only other thing I have found up here since the move is the BGE lump, but they want 20 bucks for 20 pounds. thanks
Curtis,
Did you remove the rind from the picnic? It's the thick skin that covers the meat. I used to do picnics all the time but now for some reason they're all "enhanced" around here, so I quit buying them. That could have been the cause for the "hammy" taste. If it said "self basting" or "contains any % of solution" it was enhanced. In my opinion the only thing different between a picnic and a butt is the yield of finished product. There's definitely more waste on a picnic than a butt.

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
BBQ Central Pro

yep, cut away the rind and the harder fat that wouldnt render. It was "enhanced" guess I will have to take the trip out to the Amish butchers for one thats not. Most all of the buthchers here get their meat from the same place.

Curtis
Old 04-12-2006, 05:27 PM   #4

Re: picnics and lump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
Quote:
Curtis,
Did you remove the rind from the picnic? It's the thick skin that covers the meat. I used to do picnics all the time but now for some reason they're all "enhanced" around here, so I quit buying them. That could have been the cause for the "hammy" taste. If it said "self basting" or "contains any % of solution" it was enhanced. In my opinion the only thing different between a picnic and a butt is the yield of finished product. There's definitely more waste on a picnic than a butt.
Add "always tender" and "always juicy" to your enhansed meat key words.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
yep, cut away the rind and the harder fat that wouldnt render. It was "enhanced" guess I will have to take the trip out to the Amish butchers for one thats not. Most all of the buthchers here get their meat from the same place.
Or if you have a Sam's or BJ's their's are not enhanced, or Costco, but theirs are boneless, ehh......
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
BBQ Central Pro

Sams is about 45 mins away maybe I will try there..but 30 mins more gets me to fresher product in the Amish country...maybe I will make a trip

Curtis
Old 04-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Sams is about 45 mins away maybe I will try there..but 30 mins more gets me to fresher product in the Amish country...maybe I will make a trip
Time to load up the freezer!