Pastrami (Smoked Corned Beef) - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Pastrami (Smoked Corned Beef)

I know there are a hundred links on other boards about making pastrami on the WSM, but I want to hear from you guys. Has anyone here ever smoked a corned beef brisket? My father has been asking for one, and his birthday is coming up and I'd like to make one for him and need suggestions. Thanks

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:47 AM   #2

Ya know, in my ECB days, I kept reading on the internet about these fabulous briskets, which are unheard of here except for the corned beef variety. But to further my growth in the knowledge of bbq, I faithfully went and bought one, smoked according to instructions on the net, and sat down to enjoy real Texas bbq!

"Dang," I said to myself, "this would be good with russian dressing and cole slaw on rye! Those crazy Texans!"

Old 02-23-2005, 10:48 AM   #3

I meant to add, I think there is an additional ingrediant or step or spice or something rather than just chunking it on a corned beef in the smoke. Still mine taste real close to pastrami.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #4

Funny Cat'n.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #5

Actually, I think you just motivated me to do a pastrami....with my slicer, I can get some great thin slices for dem dere reubens, which I love.....might be served next poker night. I can probably fit 2 buts and a cbbrisket....let's get Larry and me some answers!
Old 02-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
....let's get Larry and me some answers!
Yes, let's do ~ This is one of the forums where off-topic discussion is to be curtailed.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #7

[quote=Niagara River Smoker]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Captain Morgan":1txevtmt
....let's get Larry and me some answers!
Yes, let's do ~ This is one of the forums where off-topic discussion is to be curtailed. [/quote:1txevtmt]

Because my post was the only one that didn't actually mention cooking ( I guess I should have said "Funny Capt'n, cooking pastrami") I will apologize.

You have to admitt... we are doing better.

Larry and Cappie,
Check out the TVWB site for info. I haven't done one.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #8

Yours wasn't the only, Chris...Maybe it only seemed that way because of the lull yesterday...And Larry did specifically ask for this boards help on his initial post. Off-topic discussion ends here!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #9

Funny you should ask Chris. I just did one on monday. I love them smoked. I should warn you though, you have to let it soak in water over night and change the water a couple of times. Other wise it will be very salty. Give it a good rub and smoke it. I got mine up to 165 then wrapped it in foil and put it back on for a while longer. Man it was good.

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill The Grill Guy
Funny you should ask Chris. I just did one on monday. I love them smoked. I should warn you though, you have to let it soak in water over night and change the water a couple of times. Other wise it will be very salty. Give it a good rub and smoke it. I got mine up to 165 then wrapped it in foil and put it back on for a while longer. Man it was good.
Bill,
When you say "give it a rub" are you referring to "rub" or just coarse ground pepper? I am gonna try to make it as close to the real thing as I can for my dad, otherwise he'll tell me "this don't taste like pastrami"! Also, what was the "finished" temp?

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote