parts of a cows rib cage.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyDaQ

Master of All
Just threw on some beef ribs. The meat guy took off both membranes on one slab, I took off the thick membrane on the other, and left the thin one on. Douched em with wooster and WRB. Smoking now over Maple and Orange.

More pics to come.

Oh yeah, the weather is nasty. 3 more inches so far, and the wind is picking up

Rag said:
What cut of ribs are they. I still haven't figured out what to ask for.

They're beef spare ribs, no different than pig ribs...... You could also get short ribs, which are much smaller but have alot of delicious marbled meat and are twice the price of beef spare ribs. Short ribs are great for braising and spare ribs are best smoked low and slow.

Cliff, Orange wood is strong, but it goes great with Beef. I used one big chunk maple, and a smaller chunk of orange (probably half a fist size). I've said it before, but I love orange on beef.

Nick, I got these are the local grocery store, not my butcher, so they were $1.99 a lb), but they looked good, and I don't find them that often, so grabbed em!

ScottyDaQ said:

Cliff, Orange wood is strong, but it goes great with Beef. I used one big chunk maple, and a smaller chunk of orange (probably half a fist size). I've said it before, but I love orange on beef.

Nick, I got these are the local grocery store, not my butcher, so they were $1.99 a lb), but they looked good, and I don't find them that often, so grabbed em!

$1.99 seems like a good price to me! Those things look great! How did they taste?

I'll let ya know when I taste em.... just sauced em a lil while ago. Gotta let em rest in the oven while I snowblow the driveway so she can some home from Rescue ! Ahhhhh VT.

Those are Beef Back Ribs, NAMP # 124, that come from the Prime Rib..$1.99 at the retail level is a pretty good price !!!.. You'd be hard pressed to find a better price up here in NY.. That is what I pay wholesale.. stock up!!!!

Beef short ribs are confusing because at the retail level there are a few different types of "short" ribs, but they taste miles different... Beef "Chuck" short ribs NAMP# 130, come from the chuck and in packages that consist of at least 4 ribs , and are ribs 2-3-4-5 in the Chuck... Beef Short Plate ribs, NAMP# are bone 6-7-8, and come from the Plate , and will taste as good as any prime ribs you've ever eaten if they are done properly. Bottom Line is go for the beef short plate ribs..i they try and sell you a package that has more than 3 bones in it, the butcher is trying to pull a fast one on ya, cause it aint Short Ribs, Plate...There is also something called Rib Fingers, NAMP # 124A, and a few others items called beef ribs, or short ribs

Back
Top Bottom