Paprika

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I know I have posted about paprika before......somewhere but I am still having an issue with it.

I am trying to figure out what the use of it is. I hate the smell of it. It taste like dirt. It ruins the smell of an otherwise good smelling rub but almost every recipe that I have seen calls for some it.

I don't use it anymore for anything. I know some folks say that you can't taste it after it cooks and it is just for coloring the bark or it is just a carrier.

I need to find a carrier that smells good or a high quality paprika that doesn't ruin my rub creations.

Any thoughts ?

Cliff H. said:
I know I have posted about paprika before......somewhere but I am still having an issue with it.

I am trying to figure out what the use of it is. I hate the smell of it. It taste like dirt. It ruins the smell of an otherwise good smelling rub but almost every recipe that I have seen calls for some it.

I don't use it anymore for anything. I know some folks say that you can't taste it after it cooks and it is just for coloring the bark or it is just a carrier.

I need to find a carrier that smells good or a high quality paprika that doesn't ruin my rub creations.

Any thoughts ?

Tastes like smoked dirt. :LOL:

Bruce B said:
[quote="Cliff H.":2yeoh7fm]I know I have posted about paprika before......somewhere but I am still having an issue with it.

Any thoughts ?

Tastes like smoked dirt. :LOL:[/quote:2yeoh7fm]

I was so hoping that was not the case. :evil:

years ago I was told that paprika is "the dance floor where the other flavors dance".

I can't vouch for that, but I do put some in my rub.

I like the smoked paprika I get from Penzey, just about any good source beats grocery store paprika.

I'm pretty sure the grocery store stuff is mined in Oklahoma.

Steve

Cliff - I know what you're saying. I don't know what the commercial guys do to their peppers to make it so bad, but I grow my own paprika peppers, dehydrate them and grind for my rub and chili powder. It's so different from the commercial stuff you can't believe it. PM me your address and I'll mail you some of my next batch.

Dude,

You have my attention. I need to find the pepper seeds and give this a try. I did not know that it was it's own variety until I read your post, Capsicum annuum. They look like a red poblano.

It should be close to time to plant here in the Texas tropics, maybe a month early.

Steve

Steve78412 said:
Dude,

You have my attention. I need to find the pepper seeds and give this a try. I did not know that it was it's own variety until I read your post, Capsicum annuum. They look like a red poblano.

It should be close to time to plant here in the Texas tropics, maybe a month early.

Steve
I get mine from www.peppergal.com. I believe the commercial folks just use any red pepper.

Another thing to take a look at is some of the rub recipes by Paul Kirk in his books, about half the rub recipes in Championship BBQ don't have Paprika in them...of course that means about half of them do have Paprika in them, but you can pick and choose! ;)

Steve78412 said:
Dude,

Steve
Hey Steve. I thin Turners has Paprika pepper plants when they sell the cgarden stuff.. I grew them one year and they went crazy..

surfinsapo said:
Hey Steve. I think Turners has Paprika pepper plants when they sell the garden stuff.. I grew them one year and they went crazy..

That would be much handier than starting from seeds, I will check them out, Thanks.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom