Overnight Briskets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Two briskets on the uds for an overnight cook. I hope to be putting both of them in the cooler by 7-8 am on Sunday. I am using some Wolfe Rub Bold minus the Bold and some TexJoy on the other one.

img_215066_0_80df505cf538fb1ba9ec07d666e4981e.jpg

Cliff H. You Got It Goin' On with the brisket!
Be sure to keep us posted with the finish pics :D

8)

You wouldn't think there is such a big difference between a wsm and uds. Last week I smoked a brisket on my wsm. I was trying to get the heat up so it would be done in about 8 hours. The winds were up a bit so the smoker ran a grate temp of around 250-260 for the entire cook. The brisket took about 10 bours.

This time I smoked two briskets on my uds running the same temps except for the last few hours were the temps went over 300 cuz I wrapped them at 175. one 15lb and one 13lb packer were reading internal temps of over 200 in less than 8 hours.

This is good and not so good. I was hoping to be pulling them off around 7am so they would only rest for about 5 hours. As it is they are going to be resting in a cooler for more like 7 hours. I rested some for 9 hours at Christmas and they were still good so I have no doubt these will be ok. I just prefer a shorter rest time.

Sliced pics after Church.

img_215096_0_16da2f6284c7daf3130fed3b2d76816b.jpg

img_215096_1_e5dde0fd058fb80ec3324186b41ab82d.jpg

Great looking briskets Cliff. What's the main thought process behind using a UDS instead of a WSM? I only have a WSM but was curious why you would go to one over the other. Is it a size thing where you need more room?

Smokey Lew said:
Great looking briskets Cliff. What's the main thought process behind using a UDS instead of a WSM? I only have a WSM but was curious why you would go to one over the other. Is it a size thing where you need more room?

Size was the main reason for building one. When I bought my wsm a few years ago I had never even heard of one until I joined this forum. Once I started using it I wanted more room immediately. The uds was the best option for vertical cooking. The 22" wsm was just a rumor at that time.

I like the uds concept because it is direct over the fire cooking. I was one of those who was very concerned about burning fat causing cancer but after a few cooks on the uds I was convinced that bbq was healthy. HA!

Bohunk mesquite coals slingers made a direct cooking/slow grilling believer outta me. Just cant beat the flavor of hot fat hitting the coals.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom