Overestimating how much wood is needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
In the past I have been guilty of using to much wood. This comes from making coal beds in horizontal smokers for some time and only as of a few years ago have I been introduced to vertical smokers. Minion Method and so on.

I burned an overly full wsm ring of lump with two "smaller than" fist size chunks of semi-seasoned pecan and one "smaller than" fist size chuck of very dry hickory on yesterdays cook.

I made burnt ends with the same lump and wood that I had started with 11 hours prior. At the 13 hour mark the charcoal was about gone. It was holding temps around 215.

At the 13 hour mark I still had a nice light wiff of smoke exhaust coming from my drum smoker.

I have come to realize that some smokers, mainly vertical type smokers really don't need a lot of wood to produce smoke all day long.

As for those of us who foil beef or pork, I don't thnk much more that a couple of small chunks is all that is needed for an entire cook.

Just an observation. ;)

Cliff H. said:
In the past I have been guilty of using to much wood. This comes from making coal beds in horizontal smokers for some time and only as of a few years ago have I been introduced to vertical smokers. Minion Method and so on.

I burned an overly full wsm ring of lump with two "smaller than" fist size chunks of semi-seasoned pecan and one "smaller than" fist size chuck of very dry hickory on yesterdays cook.

I made burnt ends with the same lump and wood that I had started with 11 hours prior. At the 13 hour mark the charcoal was about gone. It was holding temps around 215.

At the 13 hour mark I still had a nice light wiff of smoke exhaust coming from my drum smoker.

I have come to realize that some smokers, mainly vertical type smokers really don't need a lot of wood to produce smoke all day long.

As for those of us who foil beef or pork, I don't thnk much more that a couple of small chunks is all that is needed for an entire cook.

Just an observation. ;)

For 2 average size butts (7-8lbs each) , average brisket flat (6-7lbs) and for 2 racks of spares or 3 racks of loin backs I'll use 4-5 medium chunks for all. About the same for a whole turkey and less for chicken pieces or turkey breasts.

Cliff
Producing smoke through out the whole cook is not needed.
I would advise you do a cook with smaller amounts of wood and see how you like it, then add more the next cook if you want more. When it comes to smoke many times less is better.

Jim

I am of the less is more belief as well. About 3-4 chunks is all I use in the wsm's. I do believe though that the quality of the wood can make a significant difference.

LOL Vlad still logged in.

I need to get another puter. :LOL:

In the WSM I also go with less is more, and so I don't put the wood more than half way down the ring when setting it up, (for minion method), as long as it gets smoke for the first 4 or 5 hours, it often appears that all is right with the world, the charcoal providing the heat for the whole cook.

My pit is a wood eating machine. I have her named Ginger for Ginger Lynn because it eats a lot of wood and smokes a lot of meat. ;)

Just don't get caught transporting it across certain county lines! I just saw a sign promising fines of up to $4,000!!!!! You have got to be kidding me! I would keep it neatly wrapped in a tarp!

Back
Top Bottom