Over Night Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I got a day off tomorrow so I might as well smoke something. Picked up a nice 12lb brisket at Sams. Gonna put it on around 9ish. I am using lump and hickory chunks.

I got the brisket injected with a beef broth/whatsthishere combo. Topping it off with TXBBQ Brisket blend.

I had a temp spike/wakeup call at 6am. I had some strange temp readings last night. At midnight the dome temp was around 230 and the grate temp was 265.:shock: I finally decided to go with the dome temp. I am going to check all the therms today but this morning both are reading about the same.

When I went to bed at midnight the internal temp was 150 and I was sure I would be foiling at 3 or 4am. The internal temp moved up 15 deg in 6 hours.

Here is the 1/2 time show ( I mean pic ). Foiled at 165.

Cliff H. said:
I had a temp spike/wakeup call at 6am. I had some strange temp readings last night. At midnight the dome temp was around 230 and the grate temp was 265.:shock: I finally decided to go with the dome temp. I am going to check all the therms today but this morning both are reading about the same.

When I went to bed at midnight the internal temp was 150 and I was sure I would be foiling at 3 or 4am. The internal temp moved up 15 deg in 6 hours.

Here is the 1/2 time show ( I mean pic ). Foiled at 165.

I don't know if you are having calibration problems but I find that my grate temp will always read 10-20* difference with the dome temps. I always take the grate temp. Looks great though!

On first look I thought the grate was 235 and the dome was 265. I thought that was about right. Then realized that the dome was the lower temp and that is when I started scratching my bald head. :LOL:

The therms are working fine this morning but I haven't done a boil test on them yet.

Cliff H. said:
On first look I thought the grate was 235 and the dome was 265. I thought that was about right. Then realized that the dome was the lower temp and that is when I started scratching my bald head. :LOL:

The therms are working fine this morning but I haven't done a boil test on them yet.

Yeah, I'd be scratchin my head too! Temps are always somethin else to fool with and worry about while you're cookin!

ScottyDaQ said:
Was there a lot of rendered fat on top of the sand in the pan? That might splain it ????

The brisket really didn't shrink much at all over night. There was fat in the pan but it was mostly evaporated and dark.

This all happened three hours into the cook. Maybe the probe was to close to the edge of the grate and was picking up the updraft.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom