Old wood? - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Baby Back

Old wood?

Last weekend we were cooking at a friends house that used to be his father's house using cherry wood from his father's wood pile. His father's been gone for about 3 years now. My buddy has no idea how long the wood's been there.

The wood wasn't rotted or wet, but it didn't seem to give off much heat. Can wood be to old to use?

Check out my Blog: Http://whitetrashbbq.blogspot.com
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: Old wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Last weekend we were cooking at a friends house that used to be his father's house using cherry wood from his father's wood pile. His father's been gone for about 3 years now. My buddy has no idea how long the wood's been there.

The wood wasn't rotted or wet, but it didn't seem to give off much heat. Can wood be to old to use?
Yep, after a while wood looses its ability to produce sufficiant amounts of BTU's. I had some that was like that. Just mix it in with some newer stuff. No sence in waisting it.

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdroller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill The Grill Guy
Quote:

Yep, after a while wood looses its ability to produce sufficiant amounts of BTU's. I had some that was like that. Just mix it in with some newer stuff. No sence in waisting it.
Bill, please don't misunderstand me, but I really would like to know of any evidence you have re this. I mean if it's dry and not rotted.

Can't explain it scientifically but I know that Bill's right based on my experiences with fireplaces, wood stoves and outdoor wood grills that my dad used for years when I was a young man.
PantherTailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #4

Well cheery wood aint fit to cook with when its just right let alone when it getting long in the tooth. Discover Oak sometime.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bill, please don't misunderstand me, but I really would like to know of any evidence you have re this. I mean if it's dry and not rotted.
Well wdroller, the only evidence I have is 14 years of seeing houses burn, 42 years of wood home heating and 7 years of cooking with wood. It is my experience that as wood gets older it looses its moister. Moister is what controls the heat and the "off burning" of wood. Its not the wood that burns, its the gas that wood gives off that burns. If you look at wood when its on fire, the flame is above the wood. Thats the gasses burning. As wood gets older and looses its moister, the gasses change chemicaly. Thats why an old house will burn fast and hot and a new house will burn slower but steady.

Quote:
British thermal unit
n. (Abbr. BTU or Btu)
The quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water from 60° to 61°F at a constant pressure of one atmosphere.
So, if there is less water in the wood, then the heat will be hotter and faster.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #6

[quote=Bill The Grill Guy]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bill The Grill Guy":3npzwiuq
Quote:

Well wdroller, the only evidence I have is 14 years of seeing houses burn, 42 years of wood home heating and 7 years of cooking with wood. It is my experience that as wood gets older it looses its moister. Moister is what controls the heat and the "off burning" of wood. Its not the wood that burns, its the gas that wood gives off that burns. If you look at wood when its on fire, the flame is above the wood. Thats the gasses burning. As wood gets older and looses its moister, the gasses change chemicaly. Thats why an old house will burn fast and hot and a new house will burn slower but steady.

Quote:
British thermal unit
n. (Abbr. BTU or Btu)
The quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water from 60° to 61°F at a constant pressure of one atmosphere.
So, if there is less water in the wood, then the heat will be hotter and faster.[/quote:3npzwiuq]
And here I was thinking your were supposed to be stopping those houses from burning..

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #7

[quote=wittdog]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bill The Grill Guy":2al0p8f4
Quote:

Quote:
British thermal unit
n. (Abbr. BTU or Btu)
So, if there is less water in the wood, then the heat will be hotter and faster.
And here I was thinking your were supposed to be stopping those houses from burning.. [/quote:2al0p8f4]

Does a prize fighter just step into a ring without knowing his opponiant? Does a cop just start making arrests without knowing the laws. I dont think so. You have to know before getting in over your head.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #8

Does a BBQ man buy a thermopen that reads in C.........
Just having a little fun Bill...
Can you tell I'm back to work and as misrable as ever

Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittdog
Does a BBQ man buy a thermopen that reads in C.........
Just having a little fun Bill...
Can you tell I'm back to work and as misrable as ever
Only when you can save 30 bucks. Besides, its not that hard to figure out. Even for a Yankee from NY. Well maybe not a Yankee from NY but I didnt have a problem.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #10

At least the other side of the Mt. has one that reads in F......
I can just see you know bill...overalls...and your boots off...trying to use your toes to do the conversion.... :P