Okay, I'll try it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, did that. I dont always trust the digital. My wife keeps buying what she finds on sale. I trust the instant reads. Same temp. The breast are at 180.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Okay this is strange. The turkey has been on for a little over three hours and the timp is reading 163 at the thigh. Seems kinda fast doesnt it?

Bill I had the same thing happen on my turkeys the last time I did them. One jumped way up and the other very slowly. I repositioned the thermometer and the problem was solved.

Okay, after checking the bird with every stinking therm that I own, I have come to the conclusion that it is done. The thigh temp is reading 170* and the breast is at 180*.

Here is the finished turkey pic.

Okay, now I know something is either very wrong or I just build fast pits. The butts are now at 205*, and yes I checked them with the instant read as well. Remember that I like to foil at 165* which is what I did, but only 5 hours on butts?

Here are the butt pics.

Now for the taste results.

The turkey is very moist. It picked up great apple flavor from the brine and the apple wood smoke. I was afraid that it would be salty, but that is not the case at all infact it is almost sweet. VERY pleased and will be brining again :LOL: .

The butts are good. Still cant believe that they only took 5 hours :shock: . I didnt change anything there. Just the cooking time.

Thanks for letting me post this picture tour. It has been a good day in the smoke.

5 HOURS??? :eek: Did you butterfly them?? :!:

Everything looks great, Bill. And, no more overnighters!! :(

Okay Bill, looks like I'll have a pulled pork sammich and a turkey sammich. I'm taking the long way home and coming by!! 8-[

Burnt Food Dude said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3t6pmb0a]Hey BFD, some folks on the board have done the beer can turkey before. Instead of using a regular beer can they used a Foster's can.

I suggested the keg because..... The first instruction of a beer can chicken is to drink 1/3 of the can of beer. Soooooo you have to drink 1/3 of a keg of beer! Then you don't care about how the bird gets done. :grin:

[-X[/quote:3t6pmb0a]

BFD, I can certainly live with that raionale!!! Keg it is, come on over and help me drink it!! :D

Someone mentioned Junipoer berries great stuff if you cant find Juniper berries put a couple of gin in there :) and if the cook heads south, at least you can drown your sorrows :eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom