OK, I need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boozer

Sous Chef
I mentioned in another thread that I have an event to work at on Saturday. Here's my problem. Our food suppliers is out of nose-on prime whole 15lb brisket. That's what I always cook. He has a bunch of 5 lb flat sections, but I've never cooked one, or if I have, don't recall. Any advice on cooking these? I got four of em, I wouldn't be scared to cook them for friends and family, but for the general public, they have to be perfect.

I'm in the same boat, I have a flat 5 lb to cook for Superbowl party.

I'm just going to trust the thermometer

The general rule of thumb for flats around these parts is 3 hrs in the smoke and 3 hours wrapped tightly in foil with liquid..or till it dies and gives up. For the liquid you need a good flavor mop/sop. If you dont already have a favorite try Walter Jetton's mop found in the recipe section or can be googled up.

I have a good mop. Red wine vinegar, beef broth, butter , and worsty and s & p does me fine. You guys don't think they will dry out at 250? I will wrap them early.

I got time brother, I expect these little fellas are going to cook fast. I just gotta keep em from getting dry.

250 is about right for flats in my book. Leave em in the foil till your ready to slice and dont slice up much in advance. Biggest drying out culprit is slicing.

250 is about right for flats in my book. Leave em in the foil till your ready to slice and dont slice up much in advance. Biggest drying out culprit is slicing.

Good advice. Jives With my plan, so I feel comfortable. That's what I needed. These flat cuts look really lean

Cook it on the wsm @259 deg for 11 hrs. I was close to 0 outside, had to do with how long it took. It did hold temps pretty stable though.

flats

flats are about all i can get around here they take about the same amount of time as a pork butt i wrap in butcher papper and cook till prob slides in like butter about 205 deg. let rest for at least 1 hour

MI, you have tasted my mop on a brisket..... You will change your mind.

I'm not a real big fan of mops. Pitmaker pits keep a pretty moist environment.
Most of the time I don't need to wrap. If were to mop I would just end up with a bunch of seasoning in the bottom of my smoker.

Boozer how did that go? :)

Well, we did good. Sold a lot of q. Everybody said we were by far the best! It felt good to hear that

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom