Off to a good start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, I've always cooked mine meat side up, at least till now, lol, you guys have never steered me wrong yet so I'm gonna swithch to meat side down. By the way, the ribs look fantastic!!!

Looks good. Now you got to make sure they done before sticking them in the hot box. Several tests for doneness out there in the world. My favoroite is to put on my heat resistant dishwashing gloves and grab a coupla of adjacent bones in the middle of he rack and try to pull them apart. If they try to come apart and the meat tear fairly easy..that's a clue. Time to wrap and stow for at least an hour or two. Now this technique do not produce the falling off the bone finished product as would be the case if they was cooked in foil or crockpot. They will be nice n tender if done right but a person still need teeth to eat em.

bigwheel

BayouChilehead said:
Here they are. I put them in foil and into a ice chest for awhile, but still weren't fall off the bone....close though. I will leave them on the smoker longer next time, I finished them in the oven because I got a late start and the family was buggin me to eat. Note to self.....don't listen to family!!

As always, any comments or suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks BW for the tip.....now what about the juice in the valley your were talkin about, whats so impotant about it and what to do with it??

Main thing is dont mess with it. If you cooking on an offset and need to swap ends that ok..just dont spill it. Try to keep it intact when you wrap and store in the hot box.. Set em in there juice side up. Now I got a top serect recipe on how to use it which supposedly filtered down to the Peons from Bill Milroy (Texas Rib Ranger). Now it free of course just the normal shipping and handling. Kindly keep me posted. It also involves the 3 2 1 deal so it aint really applicable to the situation at hand. Hopefully during the time the ribs rest it will reabsorb the majority. Thats why I like to cool em down slowly. In an ideal world they come down in temp in real slow increments.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Main thing is dont mess with it. If you cooking on an offset and need to swap ends that ok..just dont spill it. Try to keep it intact when you wrap and store in the hot box.. Set em in there juice side up. Now I got a top serect recipe on how to use it which supposedly filtered down to the Peons from Bill Milroy (Texas Rib Ranger). Now it free of course just the normal shipping and handling. Kindly keep me posted. It also involves the 3 2 1 deal so it aint really applicable to the situation at hand. Hopefully during the time the ribs rest it will reabsorb the majority. Thats why I like to cool em down slowly. In an ideal world they come down in temp in real slow increments.

bigwheel

BW,
So for those of us using rib racks to cook them vertically, we can't take advantage of your "reabsorption" method, unless we had a way to collect the drippings (or use alternative liquid) and put them back on the ribs meat down to rest. In your experience, does a noticeable amount of liquid rehydrate the ribs and make them noticeably moist?

It's nice to hear you explain this rather than simply tell us meat side down and fail to mention the importance of it (keeping the juice for later). Thanks.

I'll be cooking 4 racks Saturday for a party that night, so this will be a good opportunity to test this horizontal cooking meat-down-retain juices method.

Well I dont save the juice..sorry to have gave that impression. I have tried it a thousand different ways and its pointless as far as I can tell. Now I have used Bills method and at least the version I got did not mention defatting the rib juice. It sorta like proaching a brisket in fat. The grease from any of the critters rarely taste good when re-applide less we speaking of bacon of course. Not even wanting to discuss lard making etc. Most time them drippings be best tossed into the nearest weed patch less a person defat it then it ambrosia. Simple huh?

bigwheel

Cliff H. said:
bigwheel said:
Well I dont save the juice.

That is what I'm talkin' bout. I have been doing it right all along. ;)
OK BW, I got a little lost in your explanation of meat down, don't spill the juice, etc. I thought you kept the juice on long enough for it to get reabsorbed while resting. I envisioned ribs soaking up juice that has been sitting on them during the whole cook. This brought me to the next idea of: if you leave the juice on and foil (with the juice on them), then when do you sauce the ribs? So, if you're just talking about leaving the juice on as long as possible and you expect to discard it before you sauce and wrap them bad boys in foil, then I understand. I think you tell an interesting story, but I missed something there.

Cliff H. said:
Eric,

Texans don't sauce anything. ;)

Thanks Cliff. I know BBQ shouldn't be this hard. I was really wondering when in the heck is he gonna sauce if he still has a puddle of grease trying to get reabsorbed during the 'resting' in foil. Makes sense now. I'll leave my ribs puddling intact until I stumble and bump into the WSM and knock the grease over and sauce the ribs when I sober up. I really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom