OBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shawn White said:
not sure what you southerners call it ....

what I meant by torchlamp was the 500W halogen bulb mounted at the the end of a 6' pole

the webcam has no flash ... so, working the laptop, webcam and torchlamp all in to position for cook pics ought to be some fun!
Ooohh..One of these...
p987918reg.jpg

Lookin' forward to the results.

yep, that's it, torchiere ... I find torchlamp easier...

update: been on 10 hours now ... I stuck a fork in and gave it a twist and it doesn't seem soft enough yet ...... either it's going over done or it's not done yet ... I'm not sure

meat wil not pull away from the bone so I put the last of the souther sop on and I'm gonna leave it in a little longer to see if it softens further

If the bone won't twist it's not over done.

Never seen a butt tighten back up on the bone.

Might be time to foil and rest for a while though.

You might need some time with moist heat (foil) to finish it.

Ovens are dry enviroments. A pit will produce and/or
hold some moisture as a byproduct of the burning
process.

Foiling (Yes I know it's conidered a cheat)
will tenderize by braising the meat a short time.

You have already been working with a handicap, an additional
one won't hurt.

If it pulls it's a success!!!

Good Luck!!!

Rob

I decided it was underdone as well because MrBrown was still red.

Cooked 12.5 hours. MrBrown was now brown, meat wanted to pull away from the bone and it gave easily to the fork test. Really don't know for sure what temp the oven ran at or a what temp the meat was when I stopped cooking it.

rested 90 minutes in foil before pulling

Pics Are Here

How was it? It was moist and tender and it pulled easily. Now I'm not saying everyone should just throw away their pits ... ya can't compare this to smoked.

Smoked would wins hands down. Hickory salt helped some but maybe Larry's liquid smoke suggestion would make it seem closer?

Tasted fine in a bun with my favourite BBQ sauce. Some of it, particularly the bottom that ended up sitting in drippings reminded me very strongly of Shake N' Bake pork chops though.

It was ok, but I'd rather smoke it. I have meals for the week.

Shawn

I've noticed that you've been away from home with work. And thus forced to cook in an oven. Where are you at and when can you expect to get back to Calgary? It's a bummer to miss spring coming to the north.

Griff

Griff said:
Shawn

I've noticed that you've been away from home with work. And thus forced to cook in an oven. Where are you at and when can you expect to get back to Calgary? It's a bummer to miss spring coming to the north.

Griff
I'm in Montreal for another month, but making a trip home next weekend.

[-o< Next job in Calgary please .....

Yardburner, just wanted to thank you for the great advice, Unfortunately I didn't see your post 'till all was done, but it will be helpfull in the future regardless.

I did two picnics in my WSM a while back and they seemed a bit tough. With this experience and your advice I now think they were undercooked instead of overcooked.

This is probably a whole new thread in itself ... but I guess it boils down to the physical check methods you mention in your post and a couple of things Jim keeps saying 'it's done when it's done' and 'use the therms as a guideline'.

I hate lifting the lid on my WSM, especially when the weather is bad. So I've come to rely heavily on the Maverick ET-73.

But it seems internal temps get wonky after 160F or so (at least with my ET-73, or how I position the meat probe). They will go up or down and I overcooked some chuck roll pieces trying to reach 200F. I'm now trying to learn what done looks and feels like.

So, when I have steady pit temps, maybe I'll try to use time more as a guideline than internal meat temp. Then, not be so reluctant to lift the WSM lid and twist that thang or just fork it!

Back
Top Bottom