newbie with a few smoking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Im at 6 1/2 hours smoking the brisket now. I stuck a brand new meat thermometer into the thickest part from the side and it shot up to 215F...at only 6 1/2 hours. 9 lb. brisket.

I didnt expect this. I cant imagine its done??? The smoking chamber rarely got over 250F. Twice got up to close to 300F, but it was fast corrected.

Broken thermometer? Im scratching my head here.

Boil up some water real quick and test it in there ~ 212ºF +/- a couple otherwise, it's bad, which is my guess based on your report.

I seriously doubt if the brisket is done only at 6 1/2 hours. Just about all mine took 10 to 12 hours (that was with me keeping the temp between 225 and 250). We all get spikes but that really doesn't matter unless it stays there for a long time. I've only cooked three briskets as true BBQ. The other one or two were hit and miss until I found these BBQ forums.

I'd calibrate both meat and pit thermometers per the Jokers instructions. If your pit thermometer was not correct, you may have been cooker much higher or lower than you thought you were.

If the meat temp is that high, stick a fork in it. If it goes in real easy, it's done. If you can't penetrate the surface, it's shot! Check them therms!!!!

I just did the boil test for the meat thermometer and it was right on 210-212F. Tried it again on the meat and came up 210, so its right. The thermometer went into the meat real easy...so it may be done.

I guess I can expect a tough brisket?

Love2<º>< said:
I just did the boil test for the meat thermometer and it was right on 210-212F. Tried it again on the meat and came up 210, so its right. The thermometer went into the meat real easy...so it may be done.

If the therm went into the meat real easy and your internal temp is 210, that bad boy is done and it doesn't sound as if it's going to be tough!

It shouldn't be tough maybe dry. Wrap in foil and with a towel and let it rest in a dry cooler until the chicken is done. You may not have to cut it against the grain. Usually you do cut brisket against the grain. Post pictures.

Love2<º>< said:

Check your pit thermometer!!

Smoker?

The Love 2 Man,
I have a smoker just like that. I have used it for about 12 years about 3 times a week. Paid 150.00 for it.
I also have a Lang 84 that cost me 3000.00. My little smoker smokes as good or better than the big one.
Smoke On!!!!!!!
ed

Re: questions continued...

Nick Prochilo said:
1. Some people around here (me included) foil the brisket when it hits 165*, then continue to cook until it hits 190*. The point should be taken up to 200 - 210*.

Is the point the flatter end of the brisket?

cleglue said:
For brisket I foil around 160 to 170 after the temperature plateau. I take the brisket to 195, rewrap in heavy duty foil, towel wrap the foiled brisket and place in a dry cooler (ex. Igloo) for a minimum of an hour. Two or three hours won't hurt it.

Why a cooler? What effect does that have?

Love2<º>< said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1kbh1ngj]1. Some people around here (me included) foil the brisket when it hits 165*, then continue to cook until it hits 190*. The point should be taken up to 200 - 210*.

Is the point the flatter end of the brisket?[/quote:1kbh1ngj]
No, it's the fatter end. I was just searching for the pics that someone posted way back that showed how to seperate the point from the flat and I can''t find it. Anyone know where it is?

Love2<º>< said:
cleglue said:
For brisket I foil around 160 to 170 after the temperature plateau. I take the brisket to 195, rewrap in heavy duty foil, towel wrap the foiled brisket and place in a dry cooler (ex. Igloo) for a minimum of an hour. Two or three hours won't hurt it.

Why a cooler? What effect does that have?
This helps to hold the meat hot while it's resting for 1 to several hours. Meat continues to cook a bit and the juices redistribute throughout the meat while resting.

The Joker said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":2y7s3nvj]Thanks Bill for the answers, I just got in. Man what a long day today was.
I'm sorry Nick. :)[/quote:2y7s3nvj]

Don't be, questions have to be answered here! Glad we can keep everybody cooking!

The Joker said:
[quote="Love2<º><":2x7bt86l][quote="Nick Prochilo":2x7bt86l]1. Some people around here (me included) foil the brisket when it hits 165*, then continue to cook until it hits 190*. The point should be taken up to 200 - 210*.

Is the point the flatter end of the brisket?[/quote:2x7bt86l]
No, it's the fatter end. I was just searching for the pics that someone posted way back that showed how to seperate the point from the flat and I can''t find it. Anyone know where it is?[/quote:2x7bt86l]

Now that you mention it....it did seem like the grain changed direction or something while I was cutting the brisket. Almost as though there were two pieces of meat stuck and cooked together. Should I seperate these two pieces before I slice brisket?

Back
Top Bottom