New WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are just wanting to know what a good commercial bbq sauce is then, I like Stubbs. I have also cut a bottle of Cattlemens with enough apple cider vinegar to make it flow easier. That will give you the vinegar base you are speaking about.

Not everyone likes sauce mixed in the meat so you may want to leave some of it naked. Pulled Pork is about the only thing I do sauce and that is just because it keeps the bun from getting to soggy ;)

Good luck with the cook.

Gomer said:
Stubbs I have seen that one in the store for sure. I just use that straight on the pork?

Cliff H. said:
Not everyone likes sauce mixed in the meat so you may want to leave some of it naked. Pulled Pork is about the only thing I do sauce and that is just because it keeps the bun from getting to soggy ;)

Gomer keep asking thats why I like this board so much..people want to help..you might get 20 different ways of doing something...

Having purchased a new WSM about two months ago here's a few tips I learned and others shared along the way.

New WSM's run hot because they aren't coated yet. Don't use a full chimney of charcoal to start, only about 10-15 briquettes. Shut your botton vents off all the way when the smoker temp reaches 200 degrees. Check the fuel door for fit. You may have to bend it some to improve the fit. When you put the center section on the bottom, rotate it so that the fit is even all the way around.

If you don't like spicy, just rub with salt and pepper.

If you like ketchup and vinegar based sauces, use a Lexington style BBQ sauce.

Enjoy you first pulled pork smoke and don't worry too much. They're very forgiving.

Welcome to the forum.

Here are some pictures of starting the fire. I fill the ring with lump or briquettes unlit, add a few chunks of wood, then put about 12 to 15 lit briquettes around the charcoal. I have never had to add anymore charcoal for any of my cooks...ribs, butts, or brisket. I learned all about the WSM from this forum!

Here are some pictures of the piedmont pan I made. I think I really like filling the original water pan with sand and covering it with foil rather than using the piedmont pan. It keeps the heat very steady. I've never used water in the water pan.

cleglue said:
Welcome to the forum.

Here are some pictures of starting the fire. I fill the ring with lump or briquettes unlit, add a few chunks of wood, then put about 12 to 15 lit briquettes around the charcoal. I have never had to add anymore charcoal for any of my cooks...ribs, butts, or brisket. I learned all about the WSM from this forum!

Here are some pictures of the piedmont pan I made. I think I really like filling the original water pan with sand and covering it with foil rather than using the piedmont pan. It keeps the heat very steady. I've never used water in the water pan.

Yeah, I just added sand to the original pan and covered it with foil. IMO, the main advantage to NOT using water is that you don't have to open the fuel door to keep adding more water. Opening the fuel door or raising the lid when smoking butts just causes more temperature fluctuations and uses more fuel IMO.

I think this might be my last question, at least until I am started BBQing.

I have read about rubbing Mayo and/or Yellow Mustard on the pork before cooking? Is this a common thing to do? Do you do this as well as your Rub?

I guess that was 3 questions.

Turns out the Q is pushed to sunday but with a larger guest list so it should be fun :)

Thanks again to everyone!

Gomer said:
I guess I need to pick up some sand, thanks guys.
Or you can use a clay pot base: http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t=10219&highlight=

I never heard of using mayo, but I use yellow mustard on the meat first and then sprinkle on the rub. The mustard allows the rub to stick better and also allows a better bark to form. The mustard doesn't flavor the meat so don't worry about that.

Gomer said:
I think this might be my last question, at least until I am started BBQing.

I have read about rubbing Mayo and/or Yellow Mustard on the pork before cooking? Is this a common thing to do? Do you do this as well as your Rub?

I guess that was 3 questions.

Turns out the Q is pushed to sunday but with a larger guest list so it should be fun :)

Thanks again to everyone!

Don't worry about the questions Gomer!! This board is full of good advice!!

It's not necessary to rub mayo or mustard onto your meat. All it does it gives you a "glue" to hold more rub onto the meats surface. I don't rub anything on my pork, but I do like to splash worcestershire sauce on my beef before rubbing, but again it's not necessary.

Since the BBQ is on Sunday and you're fairly new at this, do yourself a big favor and cook your meats on Saturday and reheat on Sunday! You and you guests will have a much more enjoyable time, without you worrying about when this and that are going to be finished and them worrying about when they're going to eat!

Gomer said:
Unfortunately there is not a Bass Pro shop nearby but, I do not mind refilling it for now.

I have been looking around at rubs and that and I am not sure what to use.. I don't like anything too spicy, and I am unsure about rubbing mustard/mayo on the butt as well? Honestly I am pretty clueless here.. Especially about sauce, I have seen a lot of mention of vinegar based sauces. Are there recipes for these around too? And you put it on after you pull it? Final question for now... I want a Pork Butt or Pork Shoulder when I go to buy it?

Really sorry for the basic questions I have been poking around all day with the search and not having much luck is there some stuff with the really basic stuff I am missing? I really do not mean to be re-asking things that have been answered in the past and I am very grateful for all your help so far and look forward to showing you guys some pics on saturday!

Gomer do a Google search on BBQ Rub Recipes, there are alot on the web that are really good and simple to make. Or check out your grocery store, most of them sell Stubbs Rub, BBQ Magic, KC Masterpiece, etc. that will work in a pinch if you're not up to making your own. There are also a ton of web base BBQ Rub retailers that sell good rubs.

As far as sauce goes, as stated before not everyone likes sauce on their pork until it's on the sandwich. So either buy a couple store bought sauces to try out. I doubt you'll be able to find any store bought vinegar sauces in Washington, so you may have to do a Google search on vinegar bbq sauce recipes as well. Or a simple solution would be to buy a couple bottles of Sweet Baby Rays Original. Keep one bottle plain and mix the other bottle 50/50 with vinegar, which makes a pretty decent vinegar/tomato base sauce.

Here's a couple links for some really good vinegary BBQ Sauces that are great on Pulled Pork

http://www.revmarvin.com/ <Vinegar/mustard base sauce (my all time favorite)
http://www.swampsauce.com/ Vinegar/slight tomato base sauce (very, very good)
http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/ Vinegar/pepper base sauce (traditional Eastern NC Style sauce) very good

Hope this helps you out some!

BTW your Maverick went out yesterday and should be to you no later than Saturday!!

Thanks a ton Larry I will check out those sauces for sure, I think I will try and make that first one, getting really excited and super appreciate your help w/ the maverick!

Back
Top Bottom