New to BBQ!!! Looking for a little rib advice!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My guess from the Shop Rite reference is that you're in the NE.

I would go to WalMart (Wally World), Home Depot, or Lowes and get a cheap charcoal grill to start on. You can pick them up from any where from $20 to $40 for a low end one. This would get you going in the right direction until you can get a better unit. I had one that lasted about 5 years. Just keep it covered and out of the weather when you're not using it.

Now onto the ribs.

Take a rack of spare ribs with the flap on the back cut off but the membrane in tact (stores don't take it off for you). Rub the ribs down about 4 to 6 hours before you plan on cooking them. About an hour before cook time, take them up and let them warm up a bit.

In your case, I'd take about 2 lbs of lump coal and light it in a chimney starter. When it ashes over, dump it in the grill and spread out in an even layer that runs the same length as the ribs will lay.
Put the cooking rack over the coals.

Put the ribs on, bone side down and close the lid. DO NOT OPEN THE LID FOR 30 - 40 MINUTES!!!!!

Turn the ribs and close the lid.

DO NOT OPEN THE LID FOR 20 - 30 MINUTES.

Turn and sauce the meat side. Cook another 5 minutes and turn. Sauce the bone side and cook another 5 minutes. Turn one last time, sauce, and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.

Take off and allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting into individual bones.

Tim

Joe, the fine folks here have given you some mighty fine advise. How about coughing up the whiskey marinade you spoke about in the first post?

Nick Prochilo said:
Joe, the fine folks here have given you some mighty fine advise. How about coughing up the whiskey marinade you spoke about in the first post?

The fine folks here shurley have and i apreciate it alot!

Heres the recipe. I pluked it off the internet somewhere. I really enjoyed it. I marinated it for 24 hours. It had tons of tangy flavor. Im not really sure if its a "good marinade" because your standarts are alot better than mine, but it was definatly better than the one mom used to make...... oh, and i definatly took advantage of the "OR SO" when it came to the whiskey.... i used 3 tablespoons, next time i may use 4.

LONDON BROIL MARINADE

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Dash or 2, Tabasco
Dash of ground ginger
1 teaspoon sugar
1 clove minced garlic
2 tablespoons Bourbon (or so!)

Mix her all up and thow her in a bag with the top round.

I hope someone will try this out and leave some feedback, and possibly some other recipes that may be better.. cause i dont know right now... lol

92hatchattack said:
question, can you direct cook on the WSM????

If you remove the waterpan then there will be about 30" of space between the grate and the coals. To me that would be great for cooking something like chicken were low and slow is not an issue.

^^^ what about burgers,steaks,london broil???

i may consider the WSM in a month or so if i can convince the wife. But i definatly only have room for one cooker, and she wont understand this slow cooking stuff if i cant go outside and make her a burger... lol

92hatchattack said:
question, can you direct cook on the WSM????
YES you can, I do it often. If you lift off the center section and take the top rack and set it right on top of the charcoal ring it makes a pretty good steak, buger, hotdog, etc grill. I used it like that to make great steaks, and recently with a pan to saute some onions for an anything butt entry in one of my last contests. The sections just lift off so it is really easy to set up that way.

^^^ NICE!!! but things arent looking good for me. Apartment rules prohibit any outdoor coocking. And the Wife itsnt happy about the WSM price, until we have a house that is ... so it looks like ill be getting one of those little portable ground grills. Ill have to play around and do the best i can! Just make small portions when its time to indirect cook.

only other though it to get the 18" ketle, and cut the leggs off it to make it more compact... but it would suck to hack a brand new grill

92hatchattack said:
^^^ NICE!!! but things arent looking good for me. Apartment rules prohibit any outdoor coocking. And the Wife itsnt happy about the WSM price, until we have a house that is ... so it looks like ill be getting one of those little portable ground grills. Ill have to play around and do the best i can! Just make small portions when its time to indirect cook.

only other though it to get the 18" ketle, and cut the leggs off it to make it more compact... but it would suck to hack a brand new grill

Use your imagination and rig it so that the leg portion of grill separates from the kettle portion. :D

I think you'll like the kettle much better than the small portable grill and also be able to produce a much better finished product. Let your wife taste how good real BBQ can be so she will not whine as much when you buy the WSM. :D

i guess it shouldnt bee too hard to rig it to have the legs come out ... they are probaly just held in with a bolt ...

u think the 18" is big enough??? im definaly not going to the 22 inch .. the 18 is pushing it for this small little place ... lol

wow, i just checked out those Maveric thermometers... remote too .. those are pretty awesome!!!!

so 1 single unit can monitor both meat temperature, and cooking temperature>?????

92hatchattack said:
wow, i just checked out those Maveric thermometers... remote too .. those are pretty awesome!!!!

so 1 single unit can monitor both meat temperature, and cooking temperature>?????

Yes, the ET-73!

Where can i purchase Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce??? Can i find this off the shelf at my local shopright???(yeah im a yankee)

I think im going to pick up and try some of this Wolfe Rub, and give the recipe on their site a try.... sounds like a great place to start

Back
Top Bottom