New to BBQ!!! Looking for a little rib advice!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
by the way, whats the proper way to tell if their done??? While im getting used to cooking steaks and stuf like that ive been using a digital thermometer. Will this work for ribs as well to get them to the right temp?

92hatchattack said:
by the way, whats the proper way to tell if their done??? While im getting used to cooking steaks and stuf like that ive been using a digital thermometer. Will this work for ribs as well to get them to the right temp?

They will pull away from the bone....

92hatchattack said:
this seems to be the largest portable webber i can find. 12x21
goAnywhereCharcoal_hero.jpg

This would actualy be pretty good at my aprtment.. i could even store it right outside possibly. But it quickly becomes aparent that if you can only use half the are for the food, and the other half for the fuel, that im not going to get alot of cooking space out of it, so i wont be able to make ribs for a large amount of people. oh well... ill do what i can ...

cooking the ribs in the over sound like a decent idea to give a try here at home..... allthough, it kinda takes the fun out of it now doesnt it??? LOL

I have one of these, it's VERY small and difficult to control the heat because of size. Take a look at the selection on this page. If you're committed to it, I'd pick the larget one you think you can handle.

http://charcoalgrilldepot.com/category_ ... ts_33.html

Pappy's suggestion may be your best alternative at this point in time until you get your own place. :D

john pen said:
92hatchattack said:

They will pull away from the bone....

John, Bigwheel said if they pull from the bone they are not cooked right! :roll: :LOL:

Joe, John is right though when the ribs are done the meat will be pulled back some, the amount will depend on your temperatures though. Another way to tell if ribs are done is to grab two bones in the center of the rack and try to pull them apart. If they tear with just a bit of resistance they're done.

thanks for the tips guys!

When you say the temperature is a hard to control, on smaller grills like this, or even the standup larger charcoal grills, how exactly do you manage temperature, and what should it be??? And how do you measure the temperature inside the gril when the top is on???

great info so far guys.. thanks for everything!

"Smoke Ring"
From Derrick Riches,
Your Guide to Barbecues & Grilling.

Definition: In the world of barbecue the smoke ring is one of the most sought after properties of smoked meats. It is believed to show that you have done a good job and properly low and slow smoked the meat in question. Is particularly prized in smoked brisket. So what is it?
A smoke ring is a pink discoloration of meat just under the surface crust (called bark). It can be just a thin line of pink or a rather thick layer. The smoke rings is caused by nitric acid building up in the surface of meat, absorbed from the surface. This nitric acid is formed when nitrogen dioxide from wood combustion in smoke mixes with water in the meat. Basically it is a chemical reaction between the smoke and the meat.

92hatchattack said:
thanks for the tips guys!

When you say the temperature is a hard to control, on smaller grills like this, or even the standup larger charcoal grills, how exactly do you manage temperature, and what should it be??? And how do you measure the temperature inside the gril when the top is on???

great info so far guys.. thanks for everything!

The small charcoal grills just don't offer enough room to place the meat far enough away from the coals to get low enough temps for slow cooking. The Weber Silver One Touch or the Gold One Touch IS large enough to cook using indirect heat. When you have your own place, probably 95% of the members on here will tell you to purchase a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker (WSM).

Remote thermometers are availbable from several different manufacturers that have probes for monitoring food and grill surface temps. Many folks on here recommend Maverick ET-73. I recently purchased one of the units.

My advise would be to search through the site for threads on "themometers" and "BBQ Ribs". You'll get a ton of good advise from the guys on here who have a tremendous amount of experience.

Welcome aboard.
Rule 1- ask lots of questions
Rule2 -cook what makes yer wife happy
Rule 3 -cook what makes you happy next!
Rule 4 - Take lots of pics!
You might want to get a Weber Smokey Mountain. You can store it in yer attic, until you cook. ;)

Green Hornet said:
Welcome aboard.
Rule 1- ask lots of questions
Rule2 -cook what makes yer wife happy
Rule 3 -cook what makes you happy next!
Rule 4 - Take lots of pics!
You might want to get a Weber Smokey Mountain. You can store it in yer attic, until you cook. ;)

Yep, get a WSM. You will love it.

2001773766815351285_rs.jpg

^^^ that looks cool .... chances are in a year when i move to PA, ill have plenty of space for the full sized smoker of my liking

theres alot of info on this site so im just gonna spend a little time lurking around!
thanks a ton!

Joe'
The WSM is the best little smoker you can buy on a small budget, and with limited space. they only weigh 30 lbs and can be use to cook low and slow and moderately fast and hot. I compete with some of the best BBQ teams in the country and have bested several of them on my arsenal of WSMs. Here is a picture of when I bought my second one http://home.comcast.net/~volstew/twins1.JPG You can get a good start with one of these. They will do a little at a time, or with a little space management can do a remarkable amount of BBQ. They are not a pain to transport eigther.

The pink in the ribs is perfectly acceptable.

These are from another cook.

Still another cook on the Bar-B-Chef offset.

Maybe on that small grill you could cut Baby Backs in half and put a very small fire on the other end to get the smoke flavor...then take them to the park to finish them. You could create a small fire by using say 15 unlit charcoal and 3 or 4 lit charcoal on top with a small chunk (fist size) of hickory wood.

BTW...learning to cook true BBQ is very addictive. Get a big place in PA! :D

question, i keep reading in a few of the recipes that you should remove the membrane... what is this??? Do all ribs have these?? Do stores like shopright remove these before putting it on the shelf.... yeah, im a newbie ... this forum could use a nice big FAQ section :)

92hatchattack said:
question, i keep reading in a few of the recipes that you should remove the membrane... what is this??? Do all ribs have these?? Do stores like shopright remove these before putting it on the shelf.... yeah, im a newbie ... this forum could use a nice big FAQ section :)

Membrane is the paper like tissue on the backside of the ribs. You don't have to remove it, but better if you do. Most backyard grillers don't remove it until they come to a website like this one so you're fine with it on there.

And no, it won't be removed by the grocery store. A butcher might do it for ya.

Smokey_Joe said:
http://wolfes5.tripod.com/wolferub/

Welcome to BBQ CENTRAL

SJ

Hey Joe... ya might want to squeeze the loopholes of your apartments rules.
Use the defense that a WSM isn't a "BBQ GRILL" ... it's a smoker!

Take the time to show the design of the WSM to your landlord/renter and play up the safety factor of no "open flames" , low heat cooking etc... I'd be willing to bet a mature conversation about how safe a WSM cooker is compared to others may get you an exception to the rule..... and if you do, you might want to seriously think about scooping up a bunch more and have them on hand to sell to your neighbors for a small profit.

OH...almost forgot TWO things..........

Be SURE to promise, coax and bribe your landlord with a free WSM cooked meal from time to time...

and when you get up and running......... be sure to get a Maverick ET-73 to remotely keep close check on your meats and cooking chamber temperatures.... oddly enough you can get one here: http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t=8409 ;) :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom