new to all this & have 2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggo

Cook
what is a fatty? (at least the ones referred to here, I know it can take on several different meanings depending on the group)

why do you foil? need to understand the reasoning.
I am using a Traeger for my butts. have done a few, seem to be getting the process down.
Thanks in advance, Pete

Foil should be used for resting meat ONLY.
Don't forget to roll the fatty in crushed up 'tater chips before you smoke it.
Good luck & welcome to the board ;)

I'm a bad example, so just ignore me. However, to me a fatty is a Jimmy Dean sausage. I have no idea where I got that, but maybe my wife read it or saw a picture. We've cooked them up with maple syrup on them (great carmelization) and always with a rub. We cook to an internal temp of 170 degrees. usually 2-3 hours at 225 in our WSMs. Put them on Thomas English Muffins with an egg and you have an Egg McFatty.

Foil: I do the 3-2-1 for ribs and it's pretty good. If my ribs have an attached brisket that I cut off, i've sometimes not foiled the brisket and it's tasted more smoky and been dried out a little. I foil my butts if its taking forever, like 9+ hours and still sitting in the middle of a stall that's worse than Congress trying to impeach someone. I do like foiling the butts so I can collect the juices and toss back into it when I pull it. I get my pulled pork really moist and mushy. No dryness here :)

Foiling beef brisket for several hours when you pull off the smoker so the juice gets all redistributed before slicing is good too.

WildFireEric said:
I'm a bad example, so just ignore me. However, to me a fatty is a Jimmy Dean sausage. I have no idea where I got that, but maybe my wife read it or saw a picture. We've cooked them up with maple syrup on them (great carmelization) and always with a rub. We cook to an internal temp of 170 degrees. usually 2-3 hours at 225 in our WSMs. Put them on Thomas English Muffins with an egg and you have an Egg McFatty.

Foil: I do the 3-2-1 for ribs and it's pretty good. If my ribs have an attached brisket that I cut off, i've sometimes not foiled the brisket and it's tasted more smoky and been dried out a little. I foil my butts if its taking forever, like 9+ hours and still sitting in the middle of a stall that's worse than Congress trying to impeach someone. I do like foiling the butts so I can collect the juices and toss back into it when I pull it. I get my pulled pork really moist and mushy. No dryness here :)

Foiling beef brisket for several hours when you pull off the smoker so the juice gets all redistributed before slicing is good too.

Yes the typical Fatty is just a 1lb roll of breakfast sausage smoked (I pull mine at 163*). But some folks will buy the same roll/rolls or links and spread them out and place stuff in them and then roll them back up and smoke. Just a different version.....

Nothing wrong with foiling. Foiling works well when timing is an issue, or getting inconsistent results. Foiling will speed up the cook and it will help you keep precise cooking times. Some folks foil everything but chicken, other folks don't foil anything. Either way it's strictly your preference.

Now Eric we gotta talk about this "Mushy" pork you speak of.................................. :cry:

Larry Wolfe said:
WildFireEric said:

Yes the typical Fatty is just a 1lb roll of breakfast sausage smoked (I pull mine at 163*). But some folks will buy the same roll/rolls or links and spread them out and place stuff in them and then roll them back up and smoke. Just a different version.....

Nothing wrong with foiling. Foiling works well when timing is an issue, or getting inconsistent results. Foiling will speed up the cook and it will help you keep precise cooking times. Some folks foil everything but chicken, other folks don't foil anything. Either way it's strictly your preference.

Now Eric we gotta talk about this "Mushy" pork you speak of.................................. :cry:

OK, not "mushy" mushy, but somewhat moist. You can definately tell its pork and not okra or something. If I'm wrong, you have NOTHING to worry about at Bill's 2nd Annual Invitational in July (or whenever).

John A. said:
Sluggo - Not directed at you.

Guys, I can't believe you're letting this one go by - what is a fatty?

We were trying to keep it clean and family orientated (see Greg I'm in charge and doing a good job huh?)!

Anyways, what we called a fatty back in my younger days is something that would have caused me to eat 10 or more of what we call a fatty today. Or a Fatty is some overweight chick that wouldn't stop calling after a night with Lil' Wolfie. :shock:

See John, you brought the worst out in me and I'm supposed to be the acting boss!

Not at the Costco in Fairfax and Chantilly :(
I love them Fatties. I can eat them all day :)

Amy's mom&dad are coming today to visit us today (from CA). I'm planning on introducing them to egg mcfatties for bfast tomorrow and some ribs for lunch. and some mushy pulled pork for dinner :)

WildFireEric said:

Amy's mom&dad are coming today to visit us today (from CA). I'm planning on introducing them to egg mcfatties for bfast tomorrow and some ribs for lunch. and some mushy pulled pork for dinner :)

All the time you've been posting Eric I never realized you're right around the corner from me! Check the BJ's in Fair Lakes, they have the 2lb Jimmy Dean Sausage rolls there. The meat guys there are super nice too, ask for Mark!

Larry Wolfe said:
WildFireEric said:

All the time you've been posting Eric I never realized you're right around the corner from me! Check the BJ's in Fair Lakes, they have the 2lb Jimmy Dean Sausage rolls there. The meat guys there are super nice too, ask for Mark!

Yeah Larry, I just assumed you were near Luisa or something. B.J.'s? Now I'd be a member of Sams (to get detergent and paper towels and some meat), Costco to get some meat and other crap, and now B.Js for Jimmy 2lb rolls that USED to be carried at Costco. Bastards!!!! what the hell. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom