new to all this & have 2 questions - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Baby Back

new to all this & have 2 questions

what is a fatty? (at least the ones referred to here, I know it can take on several different meanings depending on the group)

why do you foil? need to understand the reasoning.
I am using a Traeger for my butts. have done a few, seem to be getting the process down.
Thanks in advance, Pete

sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Foil should be used for resting meat ONLY.
Don't forget to roll the fatty in crushed up 'tater chips before you smoke it.
Good luck & welcome to the board

Old 11-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Cooker

I'm a bad example, so just ignore me. However, to me a fatty is a Jimmy Dean sausage. I have no idea where I got that, but maybe my wife read it or saw a picture. We've cooked them up with maple syrup on them (great carmelization) and always with a rub. We cook to an internal temp of 170 degrees. usually 2-3 hours at 225 in our WSMs. Put them on Thomas English Muffins with an egg and you have an Egg McFatty.

Foil: I do the 3-2-1 for ribs and it's pretty good. If my ribs have an attached brisket that I cut off, i've sometimes not foiled the brisket and it's tasted more smoky and been dried out a little. I foil my butts if its taking forever, like 9+ hours and still sitting in the middle of a stall that's worse than Congress trying to impeach someone. I do like foiling the butts so I can collect the juices and toss back into it when I pull it. I get my pulled pork really moist and mushy. No dryness here

Foiling beef brisket for several hours when you pull off the smoker so the juice gets all redistributed before slicing is good too.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFireEric
I'm a bad example, so just ignore me. However, to me a fatty is a Jimmy Dean sausage. I have no idea where I got that, but maybe my wife read it or saw a picture. We've cooked them up with maple syrup on them (great carmelization) and always with a rub. We cook to an internal temp of 170 degrees. usually 2-3 hours at 225 in our WSMs. Put them on Thomas English Muffins with an egg and you have an Egg McFatty.

Foil: I do the 3-2-1 for ribs and it's pretty good. If my ribs have an attached brisket that I cut off, i've sometimes not foiled the brisket and it's tasted more smoky and been dried out a little. I foil my butts if its taking forever, like 9+ hours and still sitting in the middle of a stall that's worse than Congress trying to impeach someone. I do like foiling the butts so I can collect the juices and toss back into it when I pull it. I get my pulled pork really moist and mushy. No dryness here

Foiling beef brisket for several hours when you pull off the smoker so the juice gets all redistributed before slicing is good too.
Yes the typical Fatty is just a 1lb roll of breakfast sausage smoked (I pull mine at 163*). But some folks will buy the same roll/rolls or links and spread them out and place stuff in them and then roll them back up and smoke. Just a different version.....

Nothing wrong with foiling. Foiling works well when timing is an issue, or getting inconsistent results. Foiling will speed up the cook and it will help you keep precise cooking times. Some folks foil everything but chicken, other folks don't foil anything. Either way it's strictly your preference.

Now Eric we gotta talk about this "Mushy" pork you speak of..................................
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
BBQ Centralite

Sluggo - Not directed at you.

Guys, I can't believe you're letting this one go by - what is a fatty?

"De gustibus non disputandum est,"
John A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFireEric

Yes the typical Fatty is just a 1lb roll of breakfast sausage smoked (I pull mine at 163*). But some folks will buy the same roll/rolls or links and spread them out and place stuff in them and then roll them back up and smoke. Just a different version.....

Nothing wrong with foiling. Foiling works well when timing is an issue, or getting inconsistent results. Foiling will speed up the cook and it will help you keep precise cooking times. Some folks foil everything but chicken, other folks don't foil anything. Either way it's strictly your preference.

Now Eric we gotta talk about this "Mushy" pork you speak of..................................
OK, not "mushy" mushy, but somewhat moist. You can definately tell its pork and not okra or something. If I'm wrong, you have NOTHING to worry about at Bill's 2nd Annual Invitational in July (or whenever).
Old 11-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A.
Sluggo - Not directed at you.

Guys, I can't believe you're letting this one go by - what is a fatty?
We were trying to keep it clean and family orientated (see Greg I'm in charge and doing a good job huh?)!

Anyways, what we called a fatty back in my younger days is something that would have caused me to eat 10 or more of what we call a fatty today. Or a Fatty is some overweight chick that wouldn't stop calling after a night with Lil' Wolfie.

See John, you brought the worst out in me and I'm supposed to be the acting boss!
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #8

Big Fatty!
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
Saint O'Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Big Fatty!
I saw those fatties at Costco's!

I also use Jimmy Dean's breakfast sausage to make fatties but only the one pound size.
cleglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleglue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Big Fatty!
I saw those fatties at Costco's!

I also use Jimmy Dean's breakfast sausage to make fatties but only the one pound size.
Did you snag a few? They don't last long around here.

Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote