New Smoker/Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oak

Senior Cook
My neighbor just bought one of these and he is hoping I can help him smoke on it. I was thinking about putting in my old water pan from my ECB and starting a fire using the Minion method on one side of the grill. I have no idea if we’ll be able to keep the cooker going low and slow, but it’s worth a shot. Does anyone have any tips on smoking on this type of cooker?

You'll at least wanna get some flexible metal tube and bring the exhaust down to the grate level. It won't ever be a smoker, but you can smoke on it like you would any other grill....like you said (indirect)

No need for the water pan. Those are for vertical smokers.

What kind of wood are ya thinking, and what do you plan on cooking?

Scott,

I was afraid folks would say"It won't ever be a smoker." I had the same thought. I wish he had bought a WSM and made life easy. He could have also bought a Weber kettle and I could have lent him my smokenator, which does do a nice job for short cooks like ribs.

My reason for using the water pan is to have a heat sink to avoid temperature spikes and keep the grill from overheating.

In regards to what he'll be using for wood, he's got a blue bag of kingsford and some hickory chunks. He was trying to cook a small (4 lb.) pork shoulder.

It should be an interesting day. I think I will head to the packy and pick up some beverages.

Surprisingly she’s cooking pretty well. We lit the grill using the Minion method early this morning and set it up for indirect grilling with an attempt to smoke. I set a bowl of water under one side of the grill. After a few hours the temperature started to creep up over 250 and I noticed that the lid did not make a tight seal. A little aluminum foil around the edges and she’s holding between 225 and 250. Now we can wait for the magic of pulled pork.

I think I’ve talked him into buying the offset. Is it easy to install?

With some modifications, the pork came out quite nice. We had to put aluminum foil around the edges to keep the temp low. I know it's not ideal, but it worked. Baby steps. After it falls apart after a New England winter, I'll talk him into a WSM.

[/url]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom