new one here-have question - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
Baby Back

new one here-have question

I have been reading this forum for quite awhile and everyone seems very helpful. I've picked up many tips.
I bought a Butterball young hen turkey that weighed 11#. I read the label and it said the bird had been in 7% solution. Because of this I didn't the bird. I took the bird out of the frig and rubbed it with Safflower oil inside and out-then let it set at room temp for 30 min, then seasoned it inside and out. The smoker with water in it was at 244* when I put the bird in. I then got it up to 290* within 30 min and kept it between 290 & 302. I am cooking on a Spicewine upright. At 2 1/2 hrs the probes said the breast was 167 & thigh was 175. I thought something was wrong-so I checked the temp with a Therapen and it read 165 & 173. So I pulled and wrapped in foil and let set 1 hr. When I cut in the juice just ran out and was done perfect. Juiceyest bird I've ever done. Long winded history. :biggrin: I have never had a bird get done that fast. Does the 7% solution make that much difference. I always do small birds but usually 3-3 1/2 hrs.
I know alot of you do birds all the time-thought maybe someone could shed some light on this for me. Thanks

BYBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Saint O'Que

I don't do turkeys that often... some may laugh about this cause I have a turkey farm.... but last year at Thanksgiving, I did a Beer Butt turkey that got done an hour before I thought it should. Maybe others can give you some insight.

I wouldn't question the juiciest bird you ever done. When you foiled it and let it sit for an hour.. was that in a low oven or just out on the counter?

Gary

Barbeque. Sit back, relax, and let the smoke work it's magic!

You can't drink all day, unless you start in the morning.

Lang 84 Deluxe
Primo Oval XL
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber 22" One Touch Gold
Brinkman Smoke - n - pit Pro
Cheap Table Top Grill
Weber Silver Gasser - she left me on 9/11/10
Gary in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
BBQ Central College

Hi,

I have found, too, that the brined birds cook faster. Something to do with the salt solution helping conduct the heat into the bird.

Al

The early bird might get the worm...but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Uncle Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #4

As long as your meat gets to proper temps, you will be safe.
The timing, which we'd all like to know precisely, can change with
several different factors (atmospheric conditions, etc.)

Log it and compare notes each time you do one, and then
TELL US WHAT YOU FIND OUT!!

I'd like to see some pics of that smoker if you can.

How'd the skin turn out?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
Baby Back

I'm in St. Petersburg, Fl. so this time of year temps are steady- no real highs or lows. I checked my log on the last 12 turkeys I've done. all were fresh- not frozen-- this is the first Butterball I've tried to smoke. 9 were brined-3 were not. all were between 10.5 & 13#. Temp about average on all. used same cooking style. the 3 unbrined took 4--4 1/2 hrs. the 9 brined took 3 1/4--3 3/4 hrs.
the skin was soft but not rubbery.
I foiled and placed in dry cooler.
I think I worded my question alittle wrong. What I was trying to ask about was the solution the bird was done in. Is it the same as brining. I read about the 7% solution so I didn't brine.
I hope these links work for the pics of smoker. clic on pic - suppose to go somewhere for full size pic. not real good at this.Thanks

BYBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
Official BBQ Central Mark

The solution is 'factory' brinning... You just don't get to influence the flavor as much. You could still brine with your fav recipe, just back off on the salt.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:56 PM   #7

BTW: nice looking smoker you have there.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:32 PM   #8

Welcome aboard OSD! That is a pretty quick cook, but as long as your thermometers are accurate then you're in good shape!! You did a very smart thing by double checking with the Nu-temp. I put two turkeys on at the exact same time last weekend and in two hours one was at 160 and the other was at 145 in the breast. I thought, "wow that's fast", so I pulled the probe out and re-inserted it in a different spot on the breast and it read 145*. When dealing with poultry, it's always safe to yield on the side of caution!
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:58 PM   #9
Graduate of BBQ Central

If your going to brine a solution added bird DON'T back off the salt in the brine, if you do it won't work. Brinning works by having more salt in the water than is in the bird. During the brine the salt is equalized between the brine and what is in the bird.
Jim
Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #10
Graduate of BBQ Central

Welcome OSD, thats a very cool rig you have there. Dont see many of those. Your turkey experience sounds great. Looking forward to hearing from you more. Now get rid of that Cowboy lump and get some good stuff! Figured I'd start you off right.

GIANT BBQ

Zilla's Gator Pit
zilla is offline   Reply With Quote