New Kingsford Charcoal Reviews... - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Graduate of BBQ Central

New Kingsford Charcoal Reviews...

I did a test run with them this past weekend too. Overnight cook @ 225 degrees, 8 Butts in two WSM. On at 9:30PM and off at noon. Over a 14 hour cook on one load of charcoal in freezing weather most of the time. The first WSM began to die around noon and the coals were spent. But the cookers ran steady all night.

I agree with all of Greg's points and will add one other observation. The competition briquettes seemed to light (ash over in the chimney) a little quicker. About 1/3 of the time less then the blue bag stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rempe
On the competition briquette:

There is no more stank smell on start up or re-load like you get with the blue bag!

Temps were as consistent as the blue bag.

Competition briquettes might burn up a little faster but its neglibgible at best.

As far as ash...I would say there is less than the blue bag...but what I really need to do is comapre a chimney full of the Competition stuff vs. Rancher from Original Charcoal Company. That would be the deal sincher for me.

The only thing that seems weird to me is that they don't sell it in the same weights as the blue bag...and its more expensive for less...which I don't really like.

That being said...I am more impressed than not with this effort! Looking forward to more tests soon!

Its okay...you can feed the monkey.
BigGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Web Celeb

I agree Big GQ! I left that out of my assessment but I did notice a much quicker light time!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
BBQ NOOB

I got to use some Comp K this past weekend doing a little grilling and bbqing. As far as the grilling, I was only grilling one steak and a few vegis, so I didn't really notice a difference as far as how it cooked. I guess I'd have to do a bit more to see. One thing I did notice, though, was that when I had the coals in the chimney warming up, it had a good smell. I know many people talk about the bad smell of regular K, which I never really notice, but I did notice a good smell from this stuff.

I then cooked a pork butt using the comp K. It came up to temp pretty quickly and I was able to keep pretty consistent temps from it, trying to keep it between 225 and 250. One time I had to leave for a little bit and left my wife in charge. She wasn't paying attention and it got up to about 275. It took several hours of closed bottom vents to get it to come back down. So, it seems that if it gets hot it's going to stay hot for a while. As long as you're keeping an eye on it and don't let it get too far out of hand, it shouldn't be a problem.

So, I liked the Comp K, especially for bbqing. You'll probably notice more difference there than you would just grilling. I've never used lump for bbqing so I can't really compare how it is against that. But, for now I'll keep using Comp K in my WSM instead of the regular blue bag. I think it also tasted better, although, I'm not sure if that was just in my head.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #4

gonna do a bag today, but for grilling, not smoking. details may or may not be coming
Old 02-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Pope O'Que

[quote="mfreeman73"]One time I had to leave for a little bit and left my wife in charge. quote]

lol - Ive done that before too! I compare it to her asking me to mop the floor.

also - I havent seen it here yet?
Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #6

on the chimney burn, I noticed a distinctly different smell...kind
of a sweet woodsy smell. So far, so good.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark

Well ain't no use in me trying it..cuz can already tell I aint gonna like it. No use in proceeding past that point huh? Now if the Widder Kingsford want to send me few free evaluation sample pallets of the stuff to conduct scientifical exspuriments upon the above mentioned substance...might be willing to be mo opened minded about the new marketing scheme. Who knows? Somebody also need to tell em to quit using N. Texas Mesquite in the Mesquite infused variety. It smells like *hit. On Mesquite nuttin North of San Antone should be used. Less a person is real drunk and desperate out in W. Texas. It aint quite the Cat's Meow like around Corpus and Kingsville. Somebody needs to talk some sense into these nut headed folks.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
God O'Que

click

Here are some pics from my trial run today.

Here are my thoughts...

I was pleasantly satisfied with the KC product. From the easy opening bag to the much better smelling initial burning aroma a very good first experience.

From the technical(sort of) side...I thought the briquettes were lighter than their blue bag counterpart and much lighter and smaller than Rancher...from what I can remember(doesn't matter anyways...they have f'd up distribution and I can never find their product anyways). I weighed 6 pieces in at 120gms. Post burn ash weight was 20 gms which gives it a 16.67% waste...not bad at all.

I used my 20x54 Klose for this cook and found this charcoal lights very quickly and the burn rate is actually pretty fast compared to normal lump. I also thought it didn't burn as hot as normal lump but that could be attributed to different sized pieces normal with lump charcoal. I not really sure it burns as hot as the blue bag but it produced a very consistent temp of 250 for almost the entire cook of about 7 hours light to finish and I wet through about 1 3/4 bags of it...not bad at all.

Overall...I'll use this product. I'm encouraged/satisfied with the first cook. I am really curious to see how it does with my method for doing comp chicken. That will dictate what I do going forward with it. I'm not one to change things that work.

I did notice a darkening color on my finished ribs. Not sure if it was the charcoal or the oak I was smoking with.

I will be interesting to do some high heat work with this on steaks and burgers and see what the results yield.

"I'd rather be dead in my skin than be a fan of a Redskin."
Uncle Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
Web Celeb

I did my first grill with it tonight...boneless skinless chicken thighs.

Things that were confirmed - this stuff lights quickly! The smell is, dare I say, attractive?!

Since this was a direct grill I did notice that these do consume themselves a lot quicker than regular KF Blue. Probably not as fast as regular lump but approaching those burn speeds. I wasn't looking for a super high heat sear this time around...but my thought is if I would have done a 2 zone fire the double thick layer would have proved to be plenty hot.

When I popped the top on the kettle, after a good 20 minutes of open flame time, the temp still was at 400*...so when the air is controlled, it re-confirms my theory that these briquets will perform well even during overnight cooks.

Alas, I would still like less ash...My neighbor has a bag of Rancer...we are going to do a 50 briquet burn soon to see how they all smell, how quickly they light and how much ash is leftover.

For now, I am happy with this stuff and I can buy it at my local HD TODAY!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #10

all I can add is I thought it was a consistent burn. Not happy
about the price, so I'll probably just use it in comps.