New for me maybe an old trick for you guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooose53

Assistant Cook
Just learned that some put corn starch in their rub for anti-caking....I haven't tried it yet but plan to. Maybe someone else has tried this and can let us know how it works.

I use my coffee grinder a lot when I have big grained seasonings like Montreal Seasoning and want to grind it into smaller pieces. I do this a lot for seasoning steaks

Another tip: Grind some kosher salt and some seasoning into a fine powder to make popcorn salt. A lot better and far cheaper than buying at the store.

When mine get caked up I think that is a sign from Heaven that is time to chunk em and go step and fetch something a little mo fresher. Ice boxes and freezer is a bad plan. The stuff always eventually gets wet. Filing cabinet in the bedroom works purty good. Thats where Big Dave keeps his. Thats good enough for me..but I dont want my bedroom to smell like a Hindu fast food joint so I keeps them in the camper. Everybody needs a camper. Only problemo is it aint air conditioned. Thats why it would be mo betta to keep in the house.

bigwheel

I keep mine in a sealed mason jar, the kind with a seal in the lid. Recycle an old mayonnaise jar and use Sapo's trick.

I use my el cheapo coffee grinder almost every day for grinding spices. I bought it in the 1970. It even survived a period when it was used to muddle squirrel hair when I was tying flies for trout fishing.

This will let you buy whole spices and grind your own fresh.

In addition to making powdered salt, as suggested, I powder Turbanado sugar for my blackening rub.

Steve

I had about 3 cups of rub left over and notice it starting to cake. I put about 2 tbl of corn starch in and I'll see what happens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom