Need Advice - WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2001Heel

Assistant Cook
First off, this is my first post to the site although I have been reading for a good while now. You all offer a lot of great advice on this site and it keeps me coming back. I've been smoking for about a year or so and it progressively moving from a hobby into a downright addiction, which is only a bad thing as it relates to my waist and cholesterol. I have fairly crappy equipment at this point which I am looking at slowly upgrading. It is highly likely my first upgrade is going to be the purchase of a WSM...the only question is whether I should go with the 18 or the 22.5. I'd like to know, approximately, what I can expect to fit on the 18 (ribs, chicken, butts, and brisket)??? Needless to say, I don't want to spend the extra $100 if I don't need to.

Alright pros, help the new guy out!

If you have the cash get the 22.5 and if not get the 18. I have a 18 and it's dome me right fine. I've cooked a whole brisket packer, and a turkey along with other tasty treats. Keep us posted on what you decide on.

If you will only be cookin' for one or two the 18.5 would be fine, but if you have friends, neighbors and a big family you should consider the 22.5, you won't need a shoehorn to put that big brisket or six butts on :LOL: And welcome to the Forum!

I have an 18". When I do pulled pork for our firemens fair, I can fit 6 shoulders on it. 3 up and 3 down. Total weight is about 50 - 55 lbs. I set them up teepee style and it works well

Thanks for the feedback so far. At this point I'm leaning towards the 22.5 just for the ease of cooking ribs...we'll see if I can get that past Mrs. Heel...

I have the 18.5 and its a great smoker. The most I have had on it at once was 3 butts, two on the top rack, one on the lower with some sausages filling in the empty spaces. The main thing I would consider when buying, especially with ribs, is the usable space on the lower rack. I have found that the way the WSM is set up, all of the heat travels through space between the rim of the water pan and the wall of the smoker. I know.... no kidding Einstein. The thing is that the temp on these outer edges of the bottom rack become much hotter than the rest of the cooking space. Its not a deal breaker by any means and easy to work around. You just might get some crispy edges on some of your ribs. But, If you want to cook a lot of ribs at once, get the 22''. It looks a lot more impressive when you stand next to it as well.

I like the 22 for cooking ribs flat, but it burns quite a bit more charcoal. You'll be happy with either.

again, happy either way, but I think the 18 will handle just about everything
you need. The 22 does make laying ribs flat pretty easy, but the 18 will
do nicely. Go Heels

Nick Prochilo said:
I have an 18". When I do pulled pork for our firemens fair, I can fit 6 shoulders on it. 3 up and 3 down. Total weight is about 50 - 55 lbs. I set them up teepee style and it works well

In order not to confuse a newbee.......you are not putting 6 'shoulder's' on your WSM, you are putting 6 shoulder portions on your WSM. Whether it be a boston butt or a picnic, you could not fit 6 'shoulders's' on a WSM.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":331d3jya]I have an 18". When I do pulled pork for our firemens fair, I can fit 6 shoulders on it. 3 up and 3 down. Total weight is about 50 - 55 lbs. I set them up tee pee style and it works well

In order not to confuse a newbee.......you are not putting 6 'shoulder's' on your WSM, you are putting 6 shoulder portions on your WSM. Whether it be a boston butt or a picnic, you could not fit 6 'shoulders's' on a WSM.[/quote:331d3jya]

Total weight would explain that! Yes, it is in fact 6 picnics, not whole shoulders. The butts wouldn't work either, they are too rectangular to fit tee pee style. Thanks for helping clarify this! ;)

I wrestled with that question as well and ended up with the 18. The thinking was that if I ever needed more space I would just get another 18. The cost per square inch is slightly higher with the 18 but it is so close...

In addition, I am going to be in my first BBQ Competition this spring so getting a second grill had appeal.

johnm said:
I wrestled with that question as well and ended up with the 18. The thinking was that if I ever needed more space I would just get another 18. The cost per square inch is slightly higher with the 18 but it is so close...

In addition, I am going to be in my first BBQ Competition this spring so getting a second grill had appeal.

I like the way you think!

Is any of the big dawgs of comp cooking using and/or winning on them bullets? Now chicken do not count. Even a few dumb Texicans know in addition to the creosote factory with a highway axle and a hitch a person also needs a chicken blaster. A WSM could pass for a chicken blaster but it have to cuz somebody to break out the drill. Got to get some air to the fire on that deal.

bigwheel

johnm said:

I like your thinking, but I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 22. I see you are located in Charlotte...are you in a competition somewhere in this area? I'm in Kannapolis so it might be something worth checking out.

2001Heel said:
johnm said:

I like your thinking, but I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 22. I see you are located in Charlotte...are you in a competition somewhere in this area? I'm in Kannapolis so it might be something worth checking out.

Sorry for the delay, I normally follow-up the discussions a bit better. The competition that I am planning on doing is in Lexington NC. Here are the details

CONTEST DATES: April 22 - 23, 2011

For additional information, please email us at uptownlex@lexcominc.net or contact
Chad Hodges, 336-906-2889 or Jo Ellen Edwards at 336-249-0383.

email/message me and I can forward you the sign-up sheet.

My team name is Losing Time BBQ so if you are there stop by!

Back
Top Bottom