N 2 D SMOKE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In keeping with the Bullwinkle theme I think Boris Badinoff would have said "Curses...foiled again!"
On the other hand the Green Hornet says......"Leave me out of it!"

brian j said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3r78f8ut]Brian I foil briskets and ribs because it gives me a consistent tender, moist finished product everytime. You can do this without foil as well, but I have better luck foiling them. If you have a good layer of rub that contains a good amount of sugar and salt you should have a nice bark even with foiling. Won't be as crunchy as it will without foiling, but it'll still be good. Foiling also cuts down on the time variables. Like the saying goes, "it's don when it's done", but you can get a pretty good time frame on the length of your cook as well when foiling.
i'm familiar with using foil and use it when cooking ribs, but i don't use it when cooking brisket or butts unless i'm running short on time. for one i like crispy bark. also by allowing the brisket to slowly rise through the platue you allow the fat and connective tissue to breakdown more slowly thereby making the brisket (or butt) moist from the inside.

after the brisket becomes fork tender pull it from the smoker and put it in a dry cooler wrap with hd foil with a little beef broth, apple joice or even beer for at least an hour.

this brisket was cooked on my offset and no foil was used.

[/quote:3r78f8ut]

Not disagreeing with your method at all Bryan, to each their own. There's no right or wrong way of cooking BBQ.

On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily say that foiling a brisket at 160-165 really changes the plateau process much or at all. I don't understand your logic, "you like crispy bark" but then you "wrap with foil and add liquid to the foil", doesn't that defeat what you trying to do and end up with a "crispy bark"? #-o

brian j said:
you got that right, there's not right or wrong way of cooking bbq. and i wasn't discounting your method as better or worse than mine. as you said to each their own. i'll get a better judge of just how good my briskets are when i do my first competition next month in salisbury. are you going to be there?

and sorry crispy probably wasn't the best word for what i was trying to describe. firmer is probably a better word.

Brian, what's the date on the Salisbury comp? I have family that lives in Easton and St. Michaels which isn't very far from Salisbury. So I might make a day trip out to check out the scene and meet some people. I know Ritch Decker is going to be there as well. What's your teams name so I can find you if I make it? Either way, I wish you luck at the comp and bring home some money!! [-o<

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom