My1st Smoked Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shores

Sous Chef
Smoked this bird mainly to be used for a food day at work this week. I'll be doing a smoked turkey noodle.

I decided to use the 22.5" WSM for this cook. Used the blue bag with a chunk of apple and a chunk of oak.
img_206996_0_d4b70d68690b0cf45a106fad532f9ea8.jpg

img_206996_1_5259d81f129eefb4de1bdd85f4f2ccf4.jpg

This bird was 8% enhanced, so I decided to simply rinse and pat dry. I did put a stick and a half of butter, minced garlic, onion and salt/pepper in the cavity then put on the smoker at 250*.
img_206996_2_51437b7bae78c4ad0ccf2bff84e0e558.jpg

img_206996_3_aad1be19cfee5db6435952d0d5f37d88.jpg

I got a bit snackish, so I decided to put some Spam on to. Oh how I love smoked Spam! :D

img_206996_4_a0a6ab274cfbfe3907b221d52f393517.jpg

img_206996_5_ab0b6d94ed2237b64106af1d118f4e8b.jpg

The WSM held steady the entire cook and the bird was done after 5 hours, which is what I was guessing it would take (Breast = 160*, Thigh = 174*). I loved the color and the meat was real juicy too. :D

img_206996_6_17569eef4d56ebdc6c5ebb39b6d55de0.jpg

img_206996_7_579a9b01bbf02588c4f22838c6db2592.jpg

Never really gave thought to dinner until the wife asked, so I made up some mac & cheese and the wife made some garlic bread...add some turkey and there you have it!
img_206996_8_9a962953cd2470ade9330e501163b003.jpg

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Looks great! Ya got to tell me where you got that plate!

pIGS

Thanks Pigs. I got this plate a couple of years ago from Hallmark. These plates were sold at Hallmark Gold Crown stores maybe 2-3 years ago. You could always check to see if a store still has any on display. I snagged a couple when they came out.

****Disclaimer***** I work for Hallmark*******We have items that come out seasonally, so stores may not have anymore.

Nice looking bird!
Smoked SPAM is the best! I try to cook a chunk of that heavenly.....well....stuff.... :eek: every time I smoke something. Nice job!

Looks mighty tasty. Fine job sir. I love Spam in just about any incarnation. Especially fried up crisp with the moaning aggs. Yum yum. Figger I could eat it smoked too:)

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Looks mighty tasty. Fine job sir. I love Spam in just about any incarnation. Especially fried up crisp with the moaning aggs. Yum yum. Figger I could eat it smoked too:)

bigwheel

Jeff, smoke it and let it sit in the fridge over night. slice it up, then fry it up. What a treat!

Pigs

Shores said:
Looks great! Ya got to tell me where you got that plate!

pIGS

Thanks Pigs. I got this plate a couple of years ago from Hallmark. These plates were sold at Hallmark Gold Crown stores maybe 2-3 years ago. You could always check to see if a store still has any on display. I snagged a couple when they came out.

****Disclaimer***** I work for Hallmark*******We have items that come out seasonally, so stores may not have anymore.

The wife works at a pottery place along with the BBQ store, said she could make one. 8) Think there is a market for them? They would be "custom" Any size, any color you want.

Pigs

bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Jeff, smoke it and let it sit in the fridge over night. slice it up, then fry it up. What a treat!

Pigs

Pigs, I've never smoaked it whole. How long do you usually smoke it for? Sliced I smoke it about an 1 1/2 hours (depending on color).

bigwheel, that's the way I grew up eating it! Also makes one heck of a sandwich with egg, cheese and mayo on toasted bread! :D :D

Shores said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Pigs

Pigs, I've never smoaked it whole. How long do you usually smoke it for? Sliced I smoke it about an 1 1/2 hours (depending on color).

bigwheel, that's the way I grew up eating it! Also makes one heck of a sandwich with egg, cheese and mayo on toasted bread! :D :D

I Polk it full of whole cloves, Takes about two and a half hours with hickory. Never temped it as it's cooked all ready. When it looks good, I wrap and toss in the fridge. You don't have to do the clove thing, I just think it brings more to the party. Don't be afraid of rubbing it down and a little sauce don't hurt at the end. :D

Pigs

Well thanks for them Spam smoking tips. Gonna have to snag a can or two. Ya know the last time I got hold of some seems like it say on the label it was made out of Turkey. Could not fault the flavor or texture in the least. Maybe slightly tighter grain as compared to the original. Did not taste eggxactly like the regular variety but was nothing to sneeze at either.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom