My Try at Making Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vermin999

Executive Chef
Bought a 10 lb pork belly, cut it in half and made a cure of Tenderquick, brown and white sugar and a little black pepper. Left the belly in the cure for 8 days, flipping them every morning. Rinsed them, patted them dry and put them in the fridge uncovered overnight.

Added a bunch of black pepper and on the drum at 190* with some hickory for smoke
img_231760_0_0bda74d05efcfdb48a0f49bbaba7fccc.jpg

Pulled the bellies when they hit an internal temp of 150*
img_231760_1_df2d7296aeec72d4a7cf52ebf612df79.jpg

Removed the rind and had to try a couple of pieces
img_231760_2_77c61d2e1dfcc381aeae96fa13904899.jpg

Pretty good stuff!!

wittdog said:
Looks good. Next time try to keep the temp lower. You'll keep more of the fat in the bacon.

This bacon did have more of a ham taste than a bacon taste.
Next time I'll try and cold smoke it. Its kind of hard to do that though when its close to 80 degrees outside.

Check the Asian markets Lew. The bellies are usually cut up but I asked the guy behind the counter and he came out with a 10 lb belly

Good job. I tried to make Buckboard bacon out of a butt one time. It was also more of a country ham type flavor/texture.

Vermin999 said:
wittdog said:
Looks good. Next time try to keep the temp lower. You'll keep more of the fat in the bacon.

This bacon did have more of a ham taste than a bacon taste.
Next time I'll try and cold smoke it. Its kind of hard to do that though when its close to 80 degrees outside.

never bought a belly before, but about 10 years ago I made some buckboard bacon
using butts, and they came out the same...kind of a cross between ham and bacon.
Not bad, but since then I've just bought bacon. :D

No Fair. Mine came out like doo doo. so salty my toe nails curled. I'm going to give it another try after seeing how good that looks. Great job.

Smokey Lew said:
Where did you get the pork belly Vermin. Do you have a butcher in your area that gets it's product locally? Sure wish we had a good butcher in our area.

Lew I got mine from the asian market too.

Back
Top Bottom