My Pulled Pork Shoulder Attempt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeeRich

Sous Chef
Hiya folks. I tried a pulled pork shoulder. Half a shoulder, actually. The thing was massive, took forever to get up to temperature. On at 11:30 am, off at 8:00 pm, after I added some direct heat to get her going. Should I have chosen the thinner half? It was asymmetrical, but probably easier to get up to temperature.

Had some for lunch today. Not pulled, but sliced/cut from the bone. Very nice.

I'd love your input. Cheers!

[youtube:3m9d23of]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhuyxQbdfpU[/youtube:3m9d23of]

The shape should not affect it. The size/weight will affect the time of the cook. Usually If you cooking at 225* my general rule of thumb is 1&1/2 hours per pound for pulled pork.

Still took more than that. Was about 5 pounds, and it was just hitting 171 after direct heat was attached. BBQ temp was 285.

I got to try this again.

They all hit a "spot". That spot will hold same temps for a long time then get through and continue cooking. Thats the the scientific part of it that im not 100% clear of. :shock:

dollarbill said:
They all hit a "spot". That spot will hold same temps for a long time then get through and continue cooking. Thats the the scientific part of it that im not 100% clear of. :shock:

Nobody is. That's when the magic happens!

I'm too busy eating it. Wonderful stuff. I'm also very pleased with my Cajun Rub, first time using it.

I have a boat trip next weekend, so I might just throw another on the cue this week for that.

Seems like a short time for that ... rule of thumb is low and slow and every piece of meat is different when it comes to when it stalls and for how long it stalls for....if ya liked it the way ya made it then dont fix what isnt broken

I'm up late and I think I'm gonna dive into some right now.

I was completely unaware that it would take anywhere near this long, and I was relying on the thermoprobe to tell me it was done.

I also had no way of adding moisture, so I should be thinking about that as well.

What temp did you cook it to? Pulled pork usually isn't considered done until it reaches above 190*. I like to take mine to 195* personally. I usually cook at around 250* to 275* and it comes in at around 1 hour a lb. I never ad moisture and like the end product better. But that could be determined by what you're cooking on.

It hits whats called the plateau & sits at that temp while the collagen in the meat melts & disolves some, Then it will start rising in temp again. This may take a few hours. Rich check your thermo for accuracy,
Put it in a glass full of ice & add some water, it should read 32 deg F.
Then put it in a pot of boiling water, it should read 212 deg F.

If it don't get a new one, like a true tell or a maverick

Got it up to 171, as the probe said pork was done at 170'F. For the longest time it stalled at 152. I will test the probe today.

I've been eating it ever since, and I've been impressed with the results regardless. Not pulled, but lovely all the same.

But I am going to try it again. I should run to the market this morning...great day for a bbq, don't you think? So it's a connective tissue plateau, is it? I'm a biochemist, and I checked some of the forums here, but didn't see anything about >180F or any rests. Good information to know. We use various enzyme rests in the brewing industry as well, called step-infusion mashing.

Here is the first version of my Cajun Rub. I think I got it here somewhere:

0.75 cups ground white pepper
0.75 cups ground black pepper
0.5 cups ground red pepper
0.5 cups dried thyme, crushed
0.5 cups onion powder
0.5 cups garlic powder
0.25 cups salt
0.25 cups ground red chillies
0.75 cups brown sugar

It doesn't have that distinct red Cajun flavour to it, and I get the Thyme coming through, which ain't bad either. I'd love to perfect this rub.

Thanks for the input guys!

You might want to check your pit thermometer for accuracy in addition to yur meat thermometer. I cook a case (every week-end) at a time between 235* and 250* and they are usually done around 10 hrs after reaching 195* or a bit higher. At 8 hrs on I double foil and save some of the drippings to add later if necessary or add a little while I'm pulling to keep it moist on re-heat. The foil will speed up the cooking time, catch the drippings and insure the pork is as moist as possible.
Wish hd foil was:
1. Actually Heavy Duty and not as thin as a sheet of paper.
2. Not so expensive considering the quality.
dj

So what would be the calculations on time per pound, effective? 1.5 hours, as previously mentioned, seems a bit short.

I will post my findings on all. Thanks for the foil tip.

I am in Toronto. Nothing to write home about in terms of elevation. Vapour pressure ain't changed much, as it's about 260 feet above sea level.

Also, lowered vapour pressure shouldn't change the amount of endothermic demand on tissues. Tissues should absorb the same amount of energy, regardless of how much hydration is evaporated and condensed. Both phase transitions should cancel eachother out, from one source of energy.

I'm preparing some numbers for the thermo readings.

BeeRich said:
So what would be the calculations on time per pound, effective?

Patience is the only real answer to that. Your not gonna get a perfect/ effective time per pound. Every piece is different as someone else here said. Definately wrap it in foil when its done. Then wrap it in towels and put it in an empty ice cooler or microwave to rest for an hour or more. It should come out & be ready to pull. It will also stilll be really hot.

Back
Top Bottom