My Pulled Pork Shoulder Attempt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This time around, the hunk is boneless, like a huge ass steak. I expect to be up late tonight. It went on at 11:30, over 7 pounds.

Results are in. My thermo was too cold. Way too cold. It's basically useless if you ask me.

The Napoleon thermometer is pretty high up in the chamber, and it goes down to 100°F.

Code:
				Probe		Napoleon
Icewater		32			n/a
Mid 1			154			135
Mid 2			162			150
Boiling		212			290

The digital thermometer I have (Probe) is spot on. The Napoleon thermometer is low in the midrange, and skyrockets up 80°F above real temperature, around boiling temperature. I can only guess what it is inside the unit. I need another thermometer. Oh well, no better time than the present. Heh.

7:30 pm UPDATE: up to 161'F, then she dipped 3 degrees! Very strange.

Now, the new thermometer (the one I'm going by) is about 10'F lower than the one I calibrated this morning. So it could be off. It's in the meat as well, so they could be reading valid differential.

Anyway, been taking measurements since 3:00 pm, so I think it's time for a nap. I'm gonna be up late. The gas is on, the Napoleon is registering over 300, but I know that ain't the truth (see previous in thread).

I think I am going to get a BBQ replacement cabin thermometer. I know it's not exact, but I need something reasonable. My original BBQ supplier was closed today (figures), and Crappy Tire didn't have any.

New remote thermoprobe won't keep the probe temp registered when it's not in the base station! WTF is up with that? I called them, they close at 4:30.

I'm filming this one.

OK, she's midnight, and I was at the pub gloating about my pulled pork. Then I came home, saw that it dipped a bit in temperature. The circulation from the burner I chose isn't working hard enough.

So, I changed the burner to something underneath the grill, so that she can get going.

I have a stainless bowl on a burner, and it's lowered since this afternoon. I want the moist to stay up. Anyway, it's somewhat above the burner now, so that should reintroduce some moisture to the meat, which looks like it needs some.

I WILL MAKE THIS WORK. I am dedicated.

OK, with two of the underburners, I couldn't get the temp to really respond. So, I went half total. I thought I'd do an indirect with the infrared. I got it on half heat for a bit, and the temp of the meat shot up, as it sits on the other side. Up to 178 now (last reading on the half hour).

So it seems the back burner is for rotisserie. I'll do a Capon or a Turkey soon on that setup. Man what a fun treat that is. But, she can't be used for grill-level indirect heat. Up to about 165. The main unit, the infrared, really goes strong, with limited gas. I'm just worried about long term use of such a tool. It's really serious tool.

But the strategy starts with a low temp smoke from the back burner, then a change of indirect heat from a choice of the 3 underlying burners:

- Left side hot only
- Middle to add more heat
- Right side Infrared ceramic burner ONLY

Testing testing. It's all good. I might post this to Napoleon to show them the restrictions of all the burners on some serious parts of meat.

Oye! Petit Napoleon...t'es la? T'ecoute?

No room. Is that the vertical black stainless bullet? I'm tryin to maximise the Napoleon as well. I'm off to the dealer now, so I might come back with a Viking (heh!).

53 posts under your belt, I woulda thought you were a lurker that just recently came out of his/her shell.. but guess not...or you'd surely know what a WSM is. A real go-getter eh?
(I see many page-long threads coming)

Oh I know the unit, just not referred to as WSM. In fact, I just saw the Napoleon version at the local BBQ store. Black, and from the looks of it, considerably larger. Can fit a large turkey in there.

Video to post soon.

Get this: 2 of my 3 thermometers were broken. My luck. Probably why I'm single.

Napoleon has new super thermometers for the big units. I'll try to get that one as a replacement. Local store had none. Glad I went.

The Redi-Chek didn't have any signal past 5 feet. That's hardly remote. So Crappy Tire replaced it. I go test now.

But the new video is here!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sg3QJQSQmFE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sg3QJQSQmFE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom