my meat's aloafing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
I knew that subject heading would get the attention of those whose minds dwell in the gutter. Actually, I'm smoking a meatloaf as I type. I'm trying Shawn's parchment technique. It's getting to be spring here and time to start cleaning out the freezer to make room for salmon and halibut. I still had some deer burger left from my brother-in-law so I mixed a pound of that with a pound of ground beef and a pound of Jimmy Dean hot and built a meatloaf. I'm saving the last of the moose burger for the WSM Smoke day so I can smoke my state mammal.

Griff

The meatloaf was great. Check out the smoke ring. Like Shawn said the smoke comes thru the parchment paper. The little white specs are garlic.

Griff

Greg Rempe Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW...it does come through the paper...how much meat did you use again? Great Job...looks great!

I know. I've done 8 or 9 meatloaves on the WSM. Always before I used an oven pan or a disposible aluminum pan. The bottom had no smoke ring and I didn't like how they sat in a pool of grease. The parchment paper thing really works. It was a three pounder.
It doesn't look like I got this "quote" thing down. How do you do it?

Griff

Don't worry Griff, I've been on various boards for just over two years and I still don't know how to use the quote thing. #-o :-(

Bruce B said:
Don't worry Griff, I've been on various boards for just over two years and I still don't know how to use the quote thing. #-o :-(

Griff...go to the post you want to quote...hit the "quote" button and then type your response underneath the quoted text. You can delete stuff inside the quoted marks to be more exact but it's not necessary. Does that help?

I'm glad you like the results Griff (now I know I'm not crazy, it worked for someone else) .... my favourite thing with the parchment paper is that the meat loaf doesn't sit in it's grease as it would in a pan.

I wish to caution again about keeping the parchment paper trimmed to the size of the meat loaf.

In a WSM, if the parchment is too big, when you lift the meat loaf and tip to drain it before removing, any remaining grease could hit the side wall and run down to the coals and ignite. It happened to me my first time out. Try to drain your meat loaf to the water pan when removing from the WSM.

Ground moose sounds awesome Griff. Wish I could be there.

Shawn

Shawn

You're absolutely correct about trimming the parchment paper to the size of the loaf. Surprisingly the grease will accumulate in the paper that extends beyond the loaf as it tends to curl up. Mindful of your admonition I looked for this when I took the first peek. Then I used the point of a knife to cut the paper up to the edge of the loaf and drain all the liquids in the water pan for the rest of the smoke. I get a lot of extra grease because I put parmesan cheese in the loaf. Next time I'll just trim the paper closer to the loaf (a quarter inch shuold work just fine).

Thanks for this great idea. Smoking the meatloaf on the parchment paper gives a great smoke through the paper and keeps the loaf out of the grease.

Griff

Back
Top Bottom