my first pig... please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampsauce

Sous Chef
One little hint: hams cook faster than shoulders. If you have a "hot spot" try to keep the hams away from there.
Also, I have never cooked one racer style so this may be a dumb question, What are you gonna mop every hour? I may be wrong, but I dont know how you can mop the meat in this position. Would be a wast of time and heat to mop the skin. I would love some enlightenment on this. Also if you dont open the smoker much, I think you will be done in 8 to 9 hours.I'm no expert , but I do cook a few hogs. Actually cooked one friday.Thanks

WOW, that's the biggest avatar I've ever seen...you might want to tame that down a bit before Greg has a hissy fit.

I kinda like it. I sent Greg a PM hoping he would help. Guess I'd better take it down. It worked on another forum.

I saw that title and thought it was a prom date :shock:
I never found the skin eatable, or maybe never been that hungry. So, I leave the skin alone and keep the cooker cosed.
Use a Maverick or remote temp sensor in the ham and shoulders. Cook to a target temp, back the heat down to hold that target temp till serving time.

Tim is right, basting the skin is just going wash away the oil
and waste your baste...everything else is fine, but why
the racing pig way.. why not lay him out Carolina style
so you can baste the meat?

derby city bbq said:
here is my plan please jump in cause i'm doing it sunday. 70 lb dressed pig, cook on my stumper clone, inject with apple juice mixture, slather inside with mustard and use my rub inside. rub down outer skin with oil and salt. put on smoker racing style with hickory wood. mop with apple cider/salt mixture every hour. cook @ 240 degrees for 8-10 hours till hams reach 190 , let rest 1hour.
what do i need to change?? my first pig i know it won't be perfect but hoping for edible!!
thanks charlie

Thank God you are a UK fan and not those vile birds from the ville! Go CATS!

I changed butchers and the pig comes WITH OUT a block of wood in the mouth. With rigor mortis set up, I can't move that jaw.
Anyone know if something can be cut to make the jaw open?
Wittdog, you are thinking of Phila scrapple :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom