My first go with the WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You've already got a lot of good advice, so I'll just add one point. I always have the meat on the grate, with the lid on, before I pour the burning coals into the charcoal ring. As soon as the coals are in, I set the body of the WSM on - no waiting for it to come up to 250 or whatever. With all the vents fully open, I then watch the temperature (measured at grate level) and when it gets to about 200 I shut the bottom vents down to about 25% and continue to watch. Once the WSM settles in to a steady temp I then make very small adjustments to the vents (if needed) and give it at least 15 minutes to respond. The fact that I don't use water in the pan simplifies this process since I'm not lifting and moving the center section with a pan full of water inside.

If I was putting the meat on after letting the smoker come up to temperature, I'd have it on the grate, ready to go, before opening the lid. Then I'd have a helper remove the lid, I'd put the grate on and then replace the lid as quickly as possible. Leaving the lid off even a couple of minutes will make a big difference in your temperature and it will take the WSM some time to settle back down. (It will also cause the fire to get hot enough to melt the cable of a digital thermometer :oops: )

Great looking brisket! My first one could not have been cut with an electric knife (a chainsaw, maybe).

Back
Top Bottom