My first butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starwalt12

Cook
Well my first butt went on tonight at 11 pm, for dinner tomorrow. wsm been holding 250 for 2 hours now with the 55 gallon drum over the top. quite windy here tongiht with an ambient temp of around 25. pics to follow tomorrow.

That's some dedicated cooking Starwalt! Do you have a temperature probe in it or just going by time? I have never cooked on a WSM, just offsets. My butts usually take around 10 hours, longest one about 12.

Texas 1836 said:
That's some dedicated cooking Starwalt! Do you have a temperature probe in it or just going by time? I have never cooked on a WSM, just offsets. My butts usually take around 10 hours, longest one about 12.

It is now 6:45 am so its been on for almost 7 hours. Gonna go stick the probe in it now, really its just an excuse to open the lid and look at it :roll:

starwalt12 said:
It is now 6:45 am so its been on for almost 7 hours. Gonna go stick the probe in it now, really its just an excuse to open the lid and look at it :roll:

Sounds like you might be having PP for lunch today, what temperature are you cooking to? Anxious to hear about the final results.

bbquzz said:
starwalt12 said:

Sounds like you might be having PP for lunch today, what temperature are you cooking to? Anxious to hear about the final results.
well was hoping for PP for dinner, but its at 170 degrees now. 190 is the prefered final temp right? I was expecting atleast a 12 hour cook time, possible 16 hours. I think I was wrong. we may have to have it for lunch and dinner. The water pan was bone dry when I checked it 30 minutes ago, except for a little bubbling pork fat, and the smoker was running a sultry 330 degrees or so. dumped hot water in the bowl replaced lid and its right back at 245. The wind has died so no more need for the barrel.

I generally shoot for the high 190's to low 200's for a done temp. Can't go wrong with 200. Good luck.

pulled the butt at 10:45 this morning with an internal temp of 202. wrapped it in foil and the super duper wrapped it in newspaper, then shoved it down into a smaller cooler we have and brought it to the living room with me. sittin at 160 right now. This bad boy is goin to be tasty.. yes yes pic will be up in a bit.

So, you have learned that no need to cook at 225 unless you just wanna wait, and wait, and wait. Next time, try empty water pan, no sand, no water. Just wrap pan with foil. That is a simple way to good food too. Sounds like you will eat GOOD tonight.

Know I'm highly jealous here. Bet that butt gonna be muy bueno. I am being drug out to eat cajun food. That is where digestive enzymes come in handy..lol.

Pics as promised. I'll say I think I did a rather good job here. I think the bark got a bit dark because at some point through the night, but before 6:30 am when I got out there, the pan ran out of water. I did pick some off, but afterwards wished I hadnt, it didn't taste burnt. This stuff was good and I think I am hooked on my smoker!

Looks perfect starwalt12, and some good pictures. The black is not burnt, folks pay big money for that at your local BBQ restaurant. Just mix it in as you pull it. I like the hoagie roll, makes for a man-sized sammie. BTW you do have to put your pictures in the reverse order you want them to display.

bbquzz said:
BTW you do have to put your pictures in the reverse order you want them to display.
Which seems only right with some of the bass-ackward people you run into on this board.

Back
Top Bottom