My first brisket flat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LowRent

Senior Cook
Here's my first brisket flat. I just pulled it off moments ago @ 186*. It was in the smoke for around 9 1/2 hours.

Is my image too big/small or just right?

dsc0006bf2.jpg

And, by popular demand, here is a picture of it sliced:

dsc0003aa0.jpg

Wow that looks great!!! Where's the sliced pics??? That's when we'll start drooling!!! Looks like a great cook!!! Fantastic job!!

I wasn't hungry when I sat down but after seeing that picture now I'M HUNGRY !!!!!! [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Al

Well do look good. Hope it turn out edible. Flats can be very twicky especially nekked flats. Most of the comp cooks around here seem to give em in the general vicinity of 3 in the smoke and 3 in the foil with some good tasting sop..which will usually bring one in purty good if the right cook is at the control panel...stays sober etc.

bigwheel

In that initial image... the bark looks darker than it is in "real life."

Here's a closer look at the bark:

dsc0004ai1.jpg

Here's a look at the pit beans:

dsc0011wm8.jpg

LR, you caused me to lick my monitor screen! The color of the brisket looks fantastic, and the beans speak for themselves! Great job!! Any sliced pic's you'ld like to torture us with???

Larry Wolfe said:
LR, you caused me to lick my monitor screen! The color of the brisket looks fantastic, and the beans speak for themselves! Great job!! Any sliced pic's you'ld like to torture us with???

Larry, as you were making this post I was uploading to imageshack. If you pull this thread one more time you'll see the sliced pics, and thanks.

bigwheel said:
Well do look good. Hope it turn out edible. Flats can be very twicky especially nekked flats. Most of the comp cooks around here seem to give em in the general vicinity of 3 in the smoke and 3 in the foil with some good tasting sop..which will usually bring one in purty good if the right cook is at the control panel...stays sober etc.

bigwheel

It was edible. Actually, it was good. Not pretty good, and certainly not great. It was good. It was dryer than it should have been. Suspecting it was too dry I did wrap it, splashed in some apple juice, and put in a 190* oven for an hour before letting it rest and slicing.

If I try that particular cut again, I'll do 3 & 3 which is actually what my instinct and memory told me to do. But, I decided for a longer smoke that was intended for a whole brisket, not just a flat. My mistake.

When I do a brisket that comes a little dry, I make a broth with onions and garlic and serve the brisket in it. It gives the juice a wonderful smokey flavor that I save and put over noodles...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom