My first brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good. Yeppers those pits need a baffle or used to anyway. Old boy I used to cook with copied the one on my pit which looks sorta like an upside down vacuum cleaner nozzle. Next time it decides to rain on your parade..a big sheet pan sitting on a few fire bricks on top of the firebox can save a bunch of heat loss.

Thanks for the pointers. I will try the bricks next time it rains

Yeah, then you don't have people like BW, and myself messing with you the whole time you are here, just because you picked all the bark off, because you thought it was burnt!

Come on man you can admit to it..... :p:p:p

I didn't wanna be the worst jerk of all and say it looks like you sliced it in the wrong direction. Against the grain will make you happy! Great looking brisket btw, one of the hardest things to cook right!

I didn't wanna be the worst jerk of all and say it looks like you sliced it in the wrong direction. Against the grain will make you happy! Great looking brisket btw, one of the hardest things to cook right!

The pics are when I had cut the point and flat into 2 sections each parallel to the grain. I didn't slice until later.
Sorry for my amateur presentation. I am long ways from competition Q.
Boy you guys are a tough crowd.
:)

Yep..I had the impulse to nag about the grain thing but resisted since we got to coddle the rookies ya know? It even looked sorta rational for a while. He could seem to slice the respective chunks crossways or reserve the right to do that anyway. Great Job on that! You do a little better than the compooterized meat slicer at the Deli. They can strangle folks to death on a Reuben sometimes. I will take an old Jewish guy with a sharp knife any old day.

There's a bbq joint in Omaha, that only serves their brisket on way.. minced. I'm pretty sure they run the whole thing fat and all through a food processor! Could be rump roast for all I can tell lol! They have good ribs though. I like to slice the flat whole, is serve the brisket on hoagie buns, so I like the long slices that go across the bun. I fill the bottom of the bun with cubes from the point, and then lay a couple of slices across the top to make it look pretty. But like can see advantages of splitting it up before slicing it for sure. 1, it makes the whole process easier, and B, if you're only slicing what you're eating now, the leftovers keep better.

Hey speaking of the chopped brisket..a fellow who used to hang out on here I think..named Paul Muret ran a bbq joint sausage making operation up in Okiehoma somewhere had prefected a technique of running a cooked mostly defatted brisket through a large plate of a big meat grinder with one tooth knocked off the knife. He claimed it make perfect chopped brisket for sandwiches without turning it to mush. He is/was a real smart guy and him his Daddy was peddling sauce which was very good. His daddy has sort of back woodsy first name like Lee Roy or something and that is what they called the sauce. He had the best tater soup recipe ever invented which I think is in the recipe section..if not I can track it down. Try that sometime. He apparently got mad about something. He has been sulled up for a long time. I think it was because I never could remember his Daddys name. I called him Rastus or something by mistake. kick kick.

Last edited:
I would stick to that story. Repeat it long enough and somebody will believe it. Works on wives and poleece chiefs sometimes. Worth a try in other words.

Back
Top Bottom