my first 'big' smoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggo

Cook
a little of this is on the catering site, but I got roped into doing pulled pork for a football team (college players and staff)
My friend and I both have Traegers, he a 70 me a 75. we started with 14 butts (2 to a package, 7 packs total) which was around 130#. give or take. rubbed them down with some Willingham's (that's what I had, and my wife does not like too well, so we got rid of it)

img_241903_0_bea517bf3b89a3e20ce4a292dd77b62c.jpg

they were on the Traeger for about 13 hrs at 225 , this is about 12 hrs in, on mine with 8 butts
img_241903_1_fb1313e62e7543f72fa00dfae586a3b7.jpg

they were between 185 and 200 so I pulled them all and foiled and into the cooler for about 2 hrs (if I had more time, I would have left them on the cooker longer, and rested them longer)
we pulled all 14 butts, it took aroung 1 1/2 hrs to pull. More then filled 5 10# catering pans, chilled over night, and reheated in the overn at 200 for about 3 hrs which seemed about right ( I did kick to 350 for around 1/2 hr)
we served the team at the stadium, best pic I had of the meat (not great pic sorry the kids wanted the food, and I got bumped)
img_241903_2_eac65a4e44da544255ba75d50cef62f7.jpg

anyway, long and short we fed 125
we had 200 ears of corn on the cobb (a little too much)
25# of mac and cheese (not nearly enough, the players love this stuff)
400 cookies
200 waters
20 gallon of Gator aid (some left over)
I used Sweet baby ray's sauce, Cattleman's and Montgomery Inn sauce (I let them re sauce on their own)
Sweet Baby Ray's is the hand down winner, Cattleman's was last
Just FYI and we had a lot of fun!
next time more Sweet Baby ray's, mac and cheese, and take better pics!!LOL

Nick Prochilo said:
Excellent job! Did you make money?
no wasn't trying to , the coach did give me 2 shirts which was nice. Someone else bought the meat, I just cooked.

Awesome job ! That's a lot of work, but I bet it was fun... I love cooking for lots of people :D Hmmmmm so the picture is blurry because your arm got bumped..... I'll have to remember that one ;) like bk my bad pics are usually alcohol related :LOL: Very nice :D :D

friesian_rain said:
:D Hmmmmm so the picture is blurry because your arm got bumped..... I'll have to remember that one ;) like bk my bad pics are usually alcohol related :LOL: Very nice :D :D

Hey the linemen were going thru the serving line when I remembered to take the pic. Another thing I learned, don't be the only thing standing between a 300 pounder and their BBQ!!

sluggo said:
friesian_rain said:
:D Hmmmmm so the picture is blurry because your arm got bumped..... I'll have to remember that one ;) like bk my bad pics are usually alcohol related :LOL: Very nice :D :D

Hey the linemen were going thru the serving line when I remembered to take the pic. Another thing I learned, don't be the only thing standing between a 300 pounder and their BBQ!!

friesian_rain said:
sluggo said:
[quote="friesian_rain":256e1j3k] :D Hmmmmm so the picture is blurry because your arm got bumped..... I'll have to remember that one ;) like bk my bad pics are usually alcohol related :LOL: Very nice :D :D

[/quote:256e1j3k]

Hahaha my grandson is on the high school football team as a lineman, he's 6' 2" and 240 lbs, I know what that's like trying to feed him and his buddies ! :LOL: My last big BBQ at my house I could barely get any pics of the food, it was getting scooped up before I could even put it on platters :shock: I tell you, being the cook sometimes is harsh work !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom