my butt is frozen!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnnyReb

Senior Cook
but i want some BBQ........ can i put it on frozen and if i do should i throw smoke at it or wait till it unthaws some :?

I'd let it thaw. By the time the inside is cooked the outside will be dry as a bone. ;)

I'd let it thaw... You can put it in a giant ziploc and put it in cold water in the sink. But keep the water cold..Good Luck!!!

surfinsapo said:
I'd let it thaw... You can put it in a giant ziploc and put it in cold water in the sink. But keep the water cold..Good Luck!!!

Follow Sapo's advice and change the water every 30 minutes. The butt will be thawed in a couple hours.

i put that thing on the smoker at 11am frozen solid, foiled it 5 hours later then pulled it at 7. it pulled great, you can cook a frozen butt :LOL:

you, in fact, can smoke a frozen butt, ribs, brisket, and chicken.... the smoke ring will be the biggest one you've ever seen... just keep the smoke house temp a little lower than normal, and you;ll be fine..

My concern with a frozen butt is that the outside could be completely done and the inside would be raw. Not to mention a whole whack of bacteria issues.

I'm not buying it. I would never do it. WAY too much time in the "danger zone" But If he did it, and it came out fine, Happy days. Every year I have some moron put tater salad or mac salad out in the sun too at a cater. :shock: :roll: (I hate to police customers But there stupid!) If someone gets sick, who is the first to blame? ME! unsafe food handling is just stupid!

im telling ya it was fine, not dry on the outside and it pulled liked a thawed butt, the only thing i didnt do was put rub on it cause i didnt think it would be able to get in the meat with it being frozen 8)

it was 5lbs and it cooked in the normal time as a thawed one, took about 7 hours foiling at 160* then took it to 200*

Please do yourself a favor and take out some additional insurance if you are feeding people other than yourself. The probability of you making someone very ill from the bacteria is very high. Not worth the risk to harm other people.

Diva Q said:
Please do yourself a favor and take out some additional insurance if you are feeding people other than yourself. The probability of you making someone very ill from the bacteria is very high. Not worth the risk to harm other people.

that is funny.... no i dont cook for catering gigs or competitions.. i just came here to ask a simple question...has this turned into a veteran only forum?
man :roll:

No it has nothing to do with being a veteran (and seriously I haven't been here long enough) it has to do with using safe food handling techniques and keeping your family and friends safe and healthy -period.
Your friends can sue you. This has nothing to do with comps or catering. It happens. You get them sick enough and they will.

I don't usually get involved in these types of disscusions but I have a question. Is it not true that any bacteria on the meat would only be on the outside and that the outside would reach a "safe" temp in less than 4 hours? All bets are off if a thermometer is stuck into the meat.

I suppose that it seems almost impossible for the inside of a 5# hunk of frozen meat to get past 140° in less that 4 hours but maybe it can.

Al

Certainly no expert here, but this just doesn't make sense to me. So lets say that the frozen butt grows all kinds of bacteria while on the smoker. It gets cooked to 190+ degrees which would kill the bacteria that just grew. I don't see the issue. Am I missing something?

that is funny.... no i dont cook for catering gigs or competitions.. i just came here to ask a simple question...has this turned into a veteran only forum?
man

By my count 8 of 15 differant persons said to thaw first than cook. You asked for advice and didn't listen to experanced minds(veterans).

Back
Top Bottom