My Bud Stu Needs Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
I was just asked to do a 40 lb.pig for a club. The guy that was going to do it got sick.They want to pick it up tomorrow at 2 pm, and they will drop it off here at noon today. I have never done one this small so I am nervous about throwing it in the smoker and going to work, I don't want to come back to pig jerky. Anybody know how long this should cook and at what temperature?

Thanks,
Stu
Can any one help out on this? I have never done one that small.
Thanks
Pigs

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I was just asked to do a 40 lb.pig for a club. The guy that was going to do it got sick.They want to pick it up tomorrow at 2 pm, and they will drop it off here at noon today. I have never done one this small so I am nervous about throwing it in the smoker and going to work, I don't want to come back to pig jerky. Anybody know how long this should cook and at what temperature?

Thanks,
Stu
Can any one help out on this? I have never done one that small.
Thanks
Pigs

I've never done a whole hog, but it seems to me if a whole hog (100lbs) takes say, 12 hours. Then a 40lb pig should take around say 8hrs.

Chris, use a thermometer on this one bud!!!!! Even though it's not traditional it'll help! [smilie=a_chuckle.gif]

Pigs...cook it at your normal temps...and stuff the gut with sausage...it will help the small pig cook more evenly and after your done with the 25lbs of head,bones and fat..the people can eat the sausage ;) :D

Smart thinking Witt. Now you talking about cased links or loose pack stuff here on sausage? Thanks.

bigwheel

Ahhh now that making perfect sense now. I'm thinking of a bung at the end of the line. Make it fairly antomocially (sic) correct etc. Whutcha think? Thanks.

bigwheel

Pig Update

Update
Thanx Chris, I got home at this morning at 6:00am and put the pig in my southern pride since it was too cold (9*)to try to start a fire in my lang. I set it at 275, went to bed and pulled it out at 2:00pm and delivered it by 3:00. It looked pretty good and didn't get too dark at all. Brush it with a steel city glaze and it was a hit.

Stu

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom