Mustard slather - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
Wizard of Que

Mustard slather

Last year about this time I Q'ed 2 racks of full spares. One had a yellow mustard slather with the normal amount of rub and the other only had rub on it. Both racks were rubbed and/or slathered the night before and stuck in the reefer.

One guy preferred the mustard rib, one guy liked the other and I had a slight preference for the rub-only rib. I never used the mustart again.

Yesterday I noticed that Safeway had a in store special on spares. So I picked one up (single rack in criovac with a Hormel sticker on it). Wife isn't too keen on spares (too many little bones) so perhaps I dress it out St. Louis style? But I digress....

Recently I bought some newfangled chiptole flavored mustard that, well really doesn't do much for brats so I thought I would use it as slather on the recently aquired pork part.

Since the mustard does have a bite, should I use a rub with less pepper in it or not worry about it?
DATsBBQ

DATsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #2

If you use a ilttle mustard and cook for 6 hours, you shouldn't taste the mustard at all. A lot depends on your rub of course, and your cooking method, but the mustard on my butts leaves no apparent taste.
Ribs may be more "sensitive" because the meat is thinner and they
cook for a shorter period of time. I don't use mustard for flavor as a slather, but too hold more rub on.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #3

I guess it depends on how well you know your critics. I would probably go with the less of a peppery rub. But that’s just me. If whoever your cooking for likes the pepper than don’t worry about it. I would go the St. Louis style with the ribs. They just look so much nicer.

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

Dat's I'll almost guarnatee those Hormel ribs you bought were enhanced. Not sure if you've done them before or not, but they will be "hammy". I'm not discouraging you from cooking them, just be careful and omit the salt in your rub and sauce if they are indeed inhanced.

I'd rub the ribs w/o the mustard and then mix in some honey with the Chipotle Mustard and use it as a finishing sauce.
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
Dat's I'll almost guarnatee those Hormel ribs you bought were enhanced. Not sure if you've done them before or not, but they will be "hammy". I'm not discouraging you from cooking them, just be careful and omit the salt in your rub and sauce if they are indeed inhanced.

I'd rub the ribs w/o the mustard and then mix in some honey with the Chipotle Mustard and use it as a finishing sauce.
Are those enchanced products injected with just salt water or with a nitrate cure?

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #6

They usually just say contains a solution with up to "X" percentage sodium.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
Wizard of Que

Larry,
I guess I mis-wrote when I typed Hormel. I just re-read the lable. They are from IBP "Superior Trim". Store sticker says fresh pork. IBP lable says "Pork, the other white meat" No mention of additives. So I don't think they are enhanced.
DATsBBQ
DATsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DATsBBQ
Larry,
I guess I mis-wrote when I typed Hormel. I just re-read the lable. They are from IBP "Superior Trim". Store sticker says fresh pork. IBP lable says "Pork, the other white meat" No mention of additives. So I don't think they are enhanced.
DATsBBQ
IBP does not do enhanced meat.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DATsBBQ
Larry,
DATsBBQ
That's great news!!! =D> =D> =D>
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
Pope O'Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
I don't use mustard for flavor as a slather, but too hold more rub on.
I would agree with the Captain. I make a mustard slather that I got from the Baron of BBQ, Paul Kirk, that has a combo of brown sugar, flat beer (miller lite) tabasco, salt, pepper, and in Kansas City we have Boulevard Brewery that makes a pale ale brown mustard (yellow will work as well). I mix all that together and literally slop the mixture on pork butts and ribs then add my rub. Now I cannot stand the taste let alone the smell of mustard but I cannot taste it on the meat, especially the ribs. In KC we like our ribs dry and my father in law, who is from Boston, will eat a whole rack of em when I smoke some. I like the nice crust I get on the butts and even brisket when I slather them, the brown sugar carmelizes (sp) and makes a nice crust on the meat. I use the slather on everything, except chicken!

SteerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote