Mustard Slather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finney said:
chunk said:
i generally use yellow mustard. has anyone ever tried a brown mustard and noticed any difference?
I've never tried it because long ago I was told you couldn't tell the difference. Figured, why waste the mustard and the money. :)

Give it a try and let us know. :!:

Finn, I have used a cheap honey mustard before and really haven't noticed a difference between that and yellow mustard.

JTsBBQ said:
I stop the mustard slather a while back. I started using no stick cooking spray(just ur basic no fancy flavorings). I spray the butts or brisket before applying the rub. It works great.......I found that to build a quality bark you must keep applying layers.
Rarely will the initial rub take you through. Every hour or so I will spritz the meats with a apple juice / maple syrup mixture. It will produce an awesome bark.
If you use foil try to wrap as late as you can to keep from softening up your beautiful creation. Just my way......seems to work well. ...

Not criticizing at all ...just curious... You mention that the "Initial rub"
won't take, and yet you don't mention any other "rub" additions in your process... and opt for for a high sugar mop....ust wondering.

Great info, JT.

By the way, my ribs will put your ribs in the dirt. Hopefully they'll have a rib competition in the fall when SOTB gets big. We can determine bragging rights there. :D

JT,
Were you the team last September at SOTB that did the Meatloaf for anything butt? If so, mighty good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom