Mulberry Wood...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Well even though I have stepped onto many squishy ripe Mulberrys in the bare foot made when I had cheeks of tan I aint never had the pleasure to cook with any that I can recall. General concensus over the years has been it whut might be called sappy. Which I dont know how to take it eggxactly but I would make sure it was real dead perhaps. Thats all I know. Now how it could produce a bad flavor on the meat I aint quite sure. I think it must be ok just be sure it aged propaly. Keep up the good work.

bigwheel

[/quote]
Here's what I find:
Mulberry (Red); medium, fruity, rich; used on beef, poultry and vegetables.

I've never used it; a red flag to me is that it is used on beef and poultry; that's unusual that a wood is interchangeable on those two meats. Wouldn't keep me from trying it though.[/quote]

I don't understand the logic here? You can use many woods on both beef and poultry. Oak, hickory, and pecan all come to mind.

Why would that be a red flag?

Tim

I see.....I just different amounts depending on what I'm cooking. Less hickory and more oak for chicken kida thing. Actually, pecan is my favorite all around wood.

Tim

wboggs said:
Here's what I find:
Mulberry (Red); medium, fruity, rich; used on beef, poultry and vegetables.

I've never used it; a red flag to me is that it is used on beef and poultry; that's unusual that a wood is interchangeable on those two meats. Wouldn't keep me from trying it though.

I don't understand the logic here? You can use many woods on both beef and poultry. Oak, hickory, and pecan all come to mind.

Why would that be a red flag?

Tim[/quote]
Poor choice of words, to me poltry and beef or pork are different enough in caractoristic that the same wood on all of them sounds a unique as salt and pepper; that's all. IMO for example, hickory just doesnt fit well with chicken or turkey.[/quote]

I've used hicory on chicken & turkey but very lightly. One or two chunks in the WSM is all thats needed, imho

Many different kinds of Hickory....I use shag bark Hickory.....can't vouch for any others

I assume you've (Finney) used it and didn't care for it? What kind is around N.C. ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom