More Practice Comp Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I think I'm getting closer, still had a couple splotch spots but overall pretty good. I will regret this but please give my your input on the chicken.

I didn't baste nearly as much this time and the skin wasn't as tender, but I could still with a little effort get a good bite through. I'm thinking the basting every three minutes last time really helped with the clean bite through skin I would also like more shean on the finished thighs than what these had, but that's an easy fix.

they look like little meatloafs....nice and uniform, I don't know
how to judge chicken, but personally I like a little bit of char
on mine. Nothing wrong with what you got though.

Captain Morgan said:
they look like little meatloafs....nice and uniform, I don't know
how to judge chicken, but personally I like a little bit of char
on mine. Nothing wrong with what you got though.

Cappy I'm with you, I love char too. But with the sugar in my rub and our sauce, I'd definitely burn them! Remember the wings I cooked last spring??????? It was Nick's fault, I had to entertain him and then the wings burnt!

Nick was supposed to be MAKING our dinner, remember?
Jack W got stuck making the fajitas by himself while
Raymond was chatty cathy all over the place.

Anyway, I liked the wings like that.

Burnt Food Dude said:
I generally try to find thighs of the same size to cook.

Steve how do you find thighs that are the same size in a big pack? I could go to a butcher shop and probably ask to hand pick my pieces, but butcher shop costs are much higher. I could buy several packs and sort them that way, is that what you are referring to??

The only trimming I do is to get rid of the extra fat and skin.

That is exactly what I trim, just the excess skin and fat. And then I wrap and pin the skin aroud the meat and use the bone as a guideline for how much on each side for uniform cooking.

I leave the meat virtually intact. I also forget about tring to get crisp skin.

I am not trying to crisp the skin, I'm attempting to consistently get it "bite through" tender. I agree, you can get crisp skin but after it sits in a box all your efforts are worthless.

Thanks for the input!

Captain Morgan said:
Nick was supposed to be MAKING our dinner, remember?
Jack W got stuck making the fajitas by himself while
Raymond was chatty cathy all over the place.

Anyway, I liked the wings like that.

No actually Mr. Romano was supposed to take ME out for dinner!! :LOL:

I was going to chime in and then realized I've never been to a real comp and have no clue. But then having "no clue" is seldom an impediment on this board. Nice chix, Larry.

Burnt Food Dude said:
I wasn't sniping you. If it sounded that way I apologize. When I judge sometimes I see a box with 10 pieces of chicken that look like little eggs. Maybe I'm wrong but all the thighs I buy are triangular shaped and I am hard pressed to get more than 6 in a box. Appearance wise my box may suffer but in KCBS the appearance carries the least weight so I don't worry about it to much. I let my wife worry because she makes the box :LOL:

No no Steve, I knew you weren't. I appreciate the honesty! :D

Back
Top Bottom