Monday Night at the Butt Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Off today and tomorrow so last night I dug out a couple of butts that were at the bottom of the freezer. I began thawing them last night in a cooler of water. Tonight the core temp of the butts are 32 deg.

This is cook is similar to the one that cleglue did.

http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14855

The difference is that I am using a uds instead of a wsm. It will be interesting to see how much faster the uds will cook the butts at similar internal temps.

img_162436_0_4740f013ade84eabca2a8e755e8d5933.jpg

img_162436_1_df2aa46ee8248277d526228d3410f7db.jpg

Looks good Cliff. Hoping to do a few buts this weekend...thanks for the motivation. I may also throw on a roast of some sort or a brisket.

Off at 2:00. Even the mighty UDS is no match for a frozen butt. :shock:

Total cook time for two average size butts that were 32 deg at the core..... 17 hours at 220-230 on a uds that would have cooked thawed butts in 10 hours or less.

I had issues with the fire which caused the uds to run at lower temps than I would normally target. I have no doubt that if I had used my wsm I would still be in the plateau if I had targeted the same grate temps.

Griff said:
Great job Cliff. So does the grease drip straight down on the coals in your UDS?

Straight on the coals Griff. It gives the most distinctive flavor you will ever taste.

I think I could pic out pork cooked on a uds if I ever judged a competition.

that last pic was perfect, glistening perfect pork.

Direct cooked bbq will have a different flavor profile
that indirect....you may find you want to change your rub
and sauce

Back
Top Bottom